Strange white things on tank wall and clear sack with worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just looked in my tank and I found a strange clear nodule stuck to the front of the tank. It was about the size of a grain of rice but round. There was something moving around in it that looked like a larva. It had eyes and was worm like and moving. While looking at that I notice these very small worm like things crawling on the glass. They were so small that I couldn't get a good look at them they look like white flecks. Under a magnifying glass they almost looked like shrimp. I do have ghost shrimp that berrie a lot. One of my ghost shrimp died a few days ago after molting. I checked my two adult fish and my two fry and they don't have anything on them. I am afraid it is ick but I don't know where I could have gotten it. Unless it came from my plants. I just planted my tank a month ago. I did dip the plants in bleach water and rinsed them in chlorinated water before adding them. I am freaking out wonder if I need to treat my tank. The filter is sucking a lot of them up. Should I take my two ghost shrimp out and add salt? or some other meds?

Nobody has any idea of what this could be? It is in my 10 gal that I am cycling with no fish, plants, and CO2. Most of them are gone today the fish and fry started eating them last night and most are gone even in my 10 gal. Guess they were harmless. Fish are okay. I had one fish that had an injury and it healed in 3 days with no problem so I guess everything is okay.

I took all the water out of the ten gallon, pulled the out the plants, and cleaned out the substrate. I had a lot of decayed plant matter from recently added plants. I cleaned off dead leaves and roots and rinsed everything off in tank water. Replanted everything. Added new water treated with Prime. This morning the panaria were almost completely gone in the 10 gal.

Today I cleaned the 29 gal. Vacuumed the substrate, made sure there were no dead plant matter and wiped the tank walls down with a scraper sponge. I have two filters running on this tank an Aquaclear 50 that I am cycling and a Whisper 40 HOB that I will be removing once the other filter has built up its bacteria. I turned the flow control up on both which is a lot of water movement but the fish seem to be enjoying it. There is now a lot less Planaria. I also added more ghost shrimp for a total of 7. I did find two more of the cyst like things but I scraped them off the glass and disposed of them. My sister said they looked like snails about to hatch. Everyone that I bought plants off of said they had snails and some could hitchhike so I have been watching out for them. Before I add meds I am going to try the not feeding, frequent water changes, and give it time approach. If after a couple of weeks that doesn't work than I will use wormer.

Back
Top Bottom