stupid me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have cycled 8 tanks that way that i can remeber. and i have had guppies, goldfish, chichlids, tetras, FW sharks, corys, mollies, danios, ottos, and plecos. ive only ever had gold fish die of something besides old age they died of the tank size the tank was to small and i was 8 at the time now i know goldfish need lots of space. how many tanks have you cycled? oh oh i know 0 your only cycling the tank you have now. so you have no experience so dont tell me im wrong if you cant prove it with experience. NOW WHAT!!!!!!!!!

ps im only saying this to Alaris not to black hills tj. i know black hills tj has experience.

Mike...chill.

Alaris actually hit the nail on the head. Just because you have put fish in your tank after a few weeks and they lived, doesn't mean that the tank was completely cycled. As Alaris mentioned, the only way to properly tell if a tank is cycled, is if the tank consistently tests Xppm ammonia in the morning, and in 24 hours or less it tests 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, and some nitrates.

There is no magic amount of time for cycled/not cycled. It depends on many factors. Here is a good article on the more technical aspects of bacteria growth at tank startup. The Nitrogen Cycle

In short, it takes what it takes. As suggested, frequent testing and watching for the changes is your best 'tech' approach. Patience works too. :p

I think we should all try to be a little more delicate with our discussions. If you think someone is wrong, by all means go ahead and state your opinion, but I don't think it's necessary to call someone's experience and knowledge into question. Then again, we shouldn't overreact either. I really like this forum because for the most part everyone is very kind, courteous, and helpful. I would like to keep it this way. Basically, play nice

I think we should all try to be a little more delicate with our discussions. If you think someone is wrong, by all means go ahead and state your opinion, but I don't think it's necessary to call someone's experience and knowledge into question. Then again, we shouldn't overreact either. I really like this forum because for the most part everyone is very kind, courteous, and helpful. I would like to keep it this way. Basically, play nice
agreed

Now you listen here mister!

I kid...I kid :-D

Back
Top Bottom