stupid me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Endlers and Guppies are very closely related, and will interbreed if they are kept in the same aquarium. This is why they look so similar.

Here are some smaller fish. Many of them stay under 1", but I believe the Schooling Bumblebee Goby wins out at the smallest at 0.6".

Not anymore! The smallest known freshwater fish to date reaches a full length of only 8mm!!! The bumblebee goby is nearly twice that size with a length of approximately 15.24mm. The fish was discovered within the past couple of years in some swap in Indonesia though I don't remember where exactly. I remember reading about it though.

Great link, thanks very much, Joy! Have you ever ordered fish from them? I love what they have available.

I've never ordered from them, but they were highly recommended by some forum members (several forums) a year or so ago. That's where I picked up the link. I've never actually had enough room to put together a large enough order to make it worthwhile to place an order to try them out.

Not anymore! The smallest known freshwater fish to date reaches a full length of only 8mm!!! The bumblebee goby is nearly twice that size with a length of approximately 15.24mm. The fish was discovered within the past couple of years in some swap in Indonesia though I don't remember where exactly. I remember reading about it though.

I knew there were smaller fish, just couldn't remember the details so I could do a search for it. The Bumblebee Goby was just the smallest listed on that page. Also I don't know if the fish you are talking about is actually available for purchase, which was part of the OP's question.

Do you know a place whhere you can buy that tiny fish. i know what fish your talking about. just dont know of a place to buy some. Do you know where to buy them? or if they even sell them?

Celestial pearl danios stay fairly small, and they are GORGEOUS! I wish I had room for some CPD's in one of my tanks. If I'm not mistaken they reach about 1.5-2cm.
i know. i like them too, but they have to live in groups (better for them). and i want a fish that would dont need tobe in groups. thanks though.

I would think that the real small fish especially would be schooling fish. Just seems logical to me.

By the way...looking at your sig, you may want to pick up a few more albino cories. Your lonely little guy will appreciate it, and you will appreciate the entertainment!

i know. i like them too, but they have to live in groups (better for them). and i want a fish that would dont need tobe in groups. thanks though.

Corys like to be in groups (they are a schooling fish). I agree with Mike that you should definitely get him some friends.

By the way...looking at your sig, you may want to pick up a few more albino cories. Your lonely little guy will appreciate it, and you will appreciate the entertainment!
oh i am these are the first fish in my tank since it cycled and if they died i didnt want to lose a lot of money he will have a partner hopefully by friday.

oh i am these are the first fish in my tank since it cycled and if they died i didnt want to lose a lot of money he will have a partner hopefully by friday.

Good to know. Typically Cories like to be in schools of 5 or more, but I've found that 3 is a fair number as well. One of these days I'm going to setup a 75gal, and I want to have a school of 1 type of cory about 12 in number, and another school of a different type of cory about the same size in population! I think it would be really neat. Many fish behave much, much differently when in LARGE schools so it should be neat.

Why would they die if your tank was cycled when you added them?

Good to know. Typically Cories like to be in schools of 5 or more, but I've found that 3 is a fair number as well. One of these days I'm going to setup a 75gal, and I want to have a school of 1 type of cory about 12 in number, and another school of a different type of cory about the same size in population! I think it would be really neat. Many fish behave much, much differently when in LARGE schools so it should be neat.

That would be awesome! When I finally upgrade to a 55g I, too want 2 schools of corys. My favorite are the Panda corys and Green corys.

Why would they die if your tank was cycled when you added them?

Many fish are very finicky to water conditions and don't adapt well. They could have be poorly adapted to his water. I use the drip method personally regardless of what kind of fish I am introducing. Also, the fish may have picked up some sort of illness while still at the LFS, but they may not have been there long enough to really develop many symptoms. Therefore, when he picked them up they could potentially die shortly after he brought them home.

Many fish are very finicky to water conditions and don't adapt well. They could have be poorly adapted to his water. I use the drip method personally regardless of what kind of fish I am introducing. Also, the fish may have picked up some sort of illness while still at the LFS, but they may not have been there long enough to really develop many symptoms. Therefore, when he picked them up they could potentially die shortly after he brought them home.
thanks for saving my time. :)

That would be awesome! When I finally upgrade to a 55g I, too want 2 schools of corys. My favorite are the Panda corys and Green corys.
wont that be a while since your 10 gallon is still fishless. you know you can put fish in it now it has cycled for a long enough time.

wont that be a while since your 10 gallon is still fishless. you know you can put fish in it now it has cycled for a long enough time.

There is no specific length of time that means your tank is cycled. Just because it has been fishless "cycling" for 2 months, doesn't mean it is completely cycled and ready for fish. The only way to determine that is(IMO) a week's worth of consistent parameter tests showing that you 2.0 PPM "dosed" ammonia has been successfully converted to nitrates.

i know but most tanks are done after a month or less.

WRONG! Fishless cycling takes 6-8 weeks. Sometimes less if you add filter seed or an actual established filter. Mine is on the 7th week and I predict it will be done at the 8th week.

Take a look at the fishless cycling for dummies link in my signature.

Plus you would know how long it takes to cycle a tank if you had a test kit to measure the water parameters. Once 4ppm of ammonia goes to nitrAtes in less than 24 hrs, then the tank is cycled. ONLY THEN no matter how long it takes.

You don't know how long it takes to fishless cycle a tank because you have never done it. I don't think you should make claims that you can't back up with experience or research.

Back
Top Bottom