substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleParr

Aquarium Advice Activist
For an african tank, what is the best type of substrate to use? I've heard caribsea aragamax is good because it helps to maintain a high ph.

Also, can you use natural slate from a quarry in your tank as decoration?

Some use crushed coral for obtaining a higher pH, some use sand, some normal gravel. I have sand in my African tank.

Slate is fine. Just give it a good scrub or pour some boiling water on it to get rid of any nasties.

For substrate, you don't necessarily have to get something that raises pH, unless yours is pretty low. Anything around 7.4 and up is fine for Africans. Just keep it stable. When you have something in the tank that keeps the pH around 8 and your tap is around 6.8 or 7 something, you are going to stress them when you do water changes.

Pool filter sand or fine gravel would be good unless you have really soft water and/or low pH.

I use standard small agate gravel that I get in the concrete dept of the local hardware. Washed, sifted and really natural looking with the limestone "holy rocks." A huge bag is only a few bucks. I use non leaching substrate to keep pH shift to a minimum as I do frequent water changes. The limestone does however raise it and hold it fairly constant.

Back
Top Bottom