Suggestion for low light plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianJR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting close to completing my first tank, and I would appreciate some suggestions for low light plants. Right now I have three clumps of Java Fern that seem to be doing very well. I would like to add a background plant, something that is tall and will grow right up to the surface. I was looking at some Vallisneria, but I would appreciate some other suggestions.

Btw, my tank is a 15gal with a 15W Aqua Glo, no CO2 or fertilizer added.

Anacharis...a nice long stemmed plant that grows very quickly.
Hornwort...another stem plant
Java moss...rumored to be able to grow in a sewer system :D
various crypts (ie: wendetti)
Anubias.

The list goes on...but, if you want to see what it would look like, take a look at my tank pics in my sig. All growing in 1.1wpg.

Wow, your tanks are amazing Jchillin! That must take a lot of work!

If you don't mind me asking, what are the red plants in the picture "skirtedtetra.jpg" and both the foreground and background plants in "idneeded.jpg"? Thanks! :)

Cryptocoryne spiralis, retrospiralis or balansae make nice low light background plants as well. Under low light they won't grow very fast but they should do just fine.

BrianJR said:
Wow, your tanks are amazing Jchillin! That must take a lot of work!

If you don't mind me asking, what are the red plants in the picture "skirtedtetra.jpg" and both the foreground and background plants in "idneeded.jpg"? Thanks! :)

The plants in both pics are the same...Ludwigia repens. The only difference is: The one in "skirted tetra" is fake. The "idneeded" is several stems of a real one.

The real one is my pride and joy. I got it as a clipping from another member back in August. It is not recommended for "low-light" tanks but I wanted to give it a try. :D

Back
Top Bottom