Suggestions anyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gillie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a couple of 55 gal tanks sitting around so I had the idea that I would divide them into three sixteen inch sections for breeding my apistogrammas. That part will be easy, the only real problem I can think of is the filtration as I will only be using sponge filters when they spawn. I was thinking about linking together a couple of cannister filters or something. Any suggestions would be a great help and greatly appreciated

I personally dont see an issue with using a couple canister filters to filter, run intakes and return lines to each section. That would be how I would set it up if I were to begin a project like that...I will go on the assumption that each section will be completely sealed off from the other? The main concern I can see is equality of return quantity, making sure the same amount of water is returned to each tank...so as not to overflow from one tank to another...or worse...

These are only my thoughts, I am far from an expert...If I am incorrect, please do correct me, I am willing to learn like everyone else...

The return was the part that I was a bit worried about, if it comes down to it I may end up knotching or drilling a series of tiny holes near the top of the dividers.

Assuming you are going to keep up with water changes, sealing off each section completely would inhibit you from taking advantage of the larger volume of water being easier to control. I would just create a way for the water to flow throughout the tank. That way you can use one filter intake. If you are worried about the outlet of the filter being too strong, try taking a 3" PVC pipe, cutting it in half and put it under the return and running it the length of the tank. That way the filter return spills out over a larger area.

Don't underestimate the powers of sponge filters... if you run a sponge filter in each section, I don't see why that wouldn't work by itself... these are not Oscars you're talking about. But if you do run a canister filter, I was going to suggest a spray bar or a PVC channel like the above post mentions. Either way I would not make each chamber separate, they should have some form of flow through...

All excellent points and suggestions, I was never too big on the sealing off the sections but I am afraid of the fry going into other sections and being eaten. I have quite a bit to think about with this project and how it's going to be done so I am going to mull it over this weekend and see what I can come up with.

How about the screen tank dividers? Well attatched of course.

Screen dividers may is a very excellent option that I had not thought about. It will allow the water to circulate and maybe I could have some Java moss growing on it for cover and the fry could pick at the infusoria.

Be aware that when you have dividers and breeding traps with Java Moss growing on them, they really take hold. The only way I've found to remove it all is to let it dry in the sun for a couple days. I don't know what your preferences are for this, but a little Java Moss never hurt anyone...or so I think.

I was thinking that I would try to come up with a way to keep it from growing more than half way up the divider, but I also think that it would be next to impossible to do so. I think the same of Java moss.

Back
Top Bottom