Suicidal Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Titaniumtim

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Golden Gourami just rammed the side of the tank a couple of times. Is this a normal behavior of gourami or is she having issues? Water is perfect, temp is 81. It was a loud smacking sound that i heard 30 feet away.

Attachments

• 2014-06-14 14.49.20.jpg
    2014-06-14 14.49.20.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 140
Fish do crazy things sometimes. Maybe it is seeing it's reflection and is trying to attack it. We have a discus that constantly see's it reflection and flirts with it , even kisses the glass on occasion.

My male dwarf gourami tries to fight his reflection sometimes. Never rams the glass, but moves quickly.

Thats an....odd....behavior...yeah, think that about sums it up. The only thing I can think of that could cause that would be utter panic/distress, or he's suicidal. Knowing the stock and size of his tank may help point towards a possible cause of this...outburst(?).

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

Might have seen his reflection, as said above. If he's known to be super aggressive and attacks everything, I wouldn't rule that out. When my rams see their reflections they flare up and start sort of dancing... It's weird

Any loud bangs or excessive vibrations near the tank? Sounds like he is trying to dart away quickly but ran out of tank.

20 gallon tank. She is only 2.5 inches so far. A few guppies and a couple mollies in with her. No loud noises or movement. Prolly saw her reflection. Seems most likely. Very calm fishy as a rule. Brushes up against guppies all the time. The female molly is quite aggressive tho. I think she may just agg the male to death. Other than that...

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Try some floating Plants to give it some security.

Gold Gouramis get up to 6". And they sometimes become nasty as they grow up. All 3 Spot Gourami types can be nice or nasty. So keep an eye out. And yes Mollies can be bullies.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Agreed on the floating plant. I have hornwort floating and my Pearl Gourami hides behind it when she's scared or shy. It seems to have a calming effect on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a few frogbit floating plants. Still do but the fish keep eating the roots off of it so it's shrinking. Its just three or four really tiny floating plants now.lol. I blame the mollies.

I also have a watersprite that's growing like a weed. My Goldy likes to.swim in it. And she hasn't dine the tank ramming thing again. Maybe just a one time thing!

Back
Top Bottom