sump glass thickness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on the water height in your sump & the recommended depth of the skimmer. My baffle holds 14" of water, but the manufacturers recommended water depth for my skimmer is 6" to 10", so it needed to be raised to meet those requirements. If it were sitting in 14" of water, it would flood the cup even if the valve was wide open.

I guess in my case, its going to be guesswork since I have no idea what skimmer I have. I will try posting a pic on a new thread...maybe some here will know.

I'd say take a few good pics of it from all sides & start a "can you ID this skimmer" thread..... hopefully, somebody around here is bound to know what it is.

What's the best method for cutting the egg crate. Tried a tin snips and that seems to make it crack and chip

I use wire cutters. It seems to work fine. It's not going to be perfect, but you'll never see it again anyway. It's just got to hold the skimmer and let water pass under it.

To cut eggcrate I just use needle nose pliers and snap the rib then you can clean up the edge the same way. As far as raising the skimmer egg crate works well and you can incrementally raise it by 3/8" by adding another layer. I personally used a plastic ice cream pail with holes cut in it to raise it enough then added a single layer of eggcrate to get the desired height.

I use wire cutters. It seems to work fine. It's not going to be perfect, but you'll never see it again anyway. It's just got to hold the skimmer and let water pass under it.

Same here on the wire cutters.... leaves a little bit of a nub sticking out, but I really don't care about that. It works.

Back
Top Bottom