Sump/pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking about moving my sump to another room just on the other side of my basement wall. I will have 12' of 3/4"PVC pipe running from the sump back to my tank. The pipe will have to go up 5'. I am using a Mag 7 and wanted to know if it could handle the head pressure. Is head pressure only the verticle travel, or do you have to consider horizontal distance too?

It will barely have any flow by the time it gets back to the tank. I would go with a mag 18 or 24 if you want decent flow put of the pump.

There is some head pressure on horizonal runs. The exact formula is beyond me to calculate what X feet of horizonal run at 3/4" diamater = what amount of head but you can factor it all up to friction.

I have 12' of 1" ID tubing that I run about 5' up and through a loop de loop as well. My mag18 handles it like a champ. I have a long return so that I can take the pump out and place in the new water for changes. Spits the water right back into the tank. I agree that if pony up on a new pump you might have an easier go at it.

Bigger tube ID=less friction losses
Bigger Flow = more friction

So you might want to upsize your piping and upgrade your pump.
Send me a PM if you want the formula to calculate the friction losses in the pipe.

Back
Top Bottom