Sump pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artoledo

Aquarium Advice Freak
So im thinking of upgrading to a new return pump. Anyone have any suggestions? i have a 75 gallon reef tank.

What pump do you have now and why are you upgrading? How much does your overflow handle in GPH?

I have used the Mag pumps for years and love their reliability, performance, and if plumbed correctly are very quite assuming you don't go larger then the Mag 9.5.

www.marineandreef.com has a great overview and choices on the more popular pumps available.

I have a rio 1800 that came with my Wet/Dry. I dont know how much my overflow can handle. my wet dry is a proclear 125.

Couldn't find the specs on a Rio 1800 but on www.aquatictech.com I found out the Rio 1700 does 352 gph with a 4ft head and the Rio 2100 does 529 gph with a 4ft head so it's probably somewhere in that range.

Without knowing for sure what your overflow can handle I wouldn't get a much more powerful pump IMO.

Is your overflow drilled or hob? One or two holes and what size are they? (inside diameter)

Since the Proclear 125 Wet/Dry is rated for 450 GPH flow rates I'd stick with a pump that doesn't exceed that with a 4ft head. Unless you plan on upgrading your sump as well.

If your current pump isn't breaking down on you or is excessively noisy then it's probably the best fit for your current setup.

Back
Top Bottom