Sump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcjake

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, new to the forum. I am looking at turning an old 5 gallon tank into a sump for my 20 gallon tank. I'm going to make my own overflow out of PVC, but I'm wondering what everyone recommends for the pump that I put in the 5 gallon to pump the water back into my tank. Thanks!

Are you running the sump in addition to another filter. Sumps are generally most effective when larger and run on larger tanks. If this is just a DIY project that's fine, but I don't think you're going to see the full effectiveness of the sump when it's only a five gallon.

That being said, you should be able to pick up any of the subersible pumps from a LFS. Just make sure it's flow rate does not exceed your drainage from your main tank. There are a lot of pump options, a lot of which are fine choices.

Will a powerhead in the sump work? Or won't it be powerful enough? Do you have any suggestions on models of submersible pumps, or how GPH I should look for when getting one?

like theo said ...5gal isn't much of a sump...but as your part of your filter it's not as bad...plus it gives you a place to put other equipment....I recently put together a wet/dry filter that flows into an 18gal rubbermaid container, and it works great...Ill be building another smaller one this week for my main tank that will be posted step by step....it should be done by saturday

as for your main question it's not about the GPH as much as it is the head height....plus you have to consider the length of your plumbing...Powerheads wont lift the water...I myself am using the Quiet one 1200...it has a GPH of 296 w/a head height of 6' ...

What you want to do is figure out the flow rate of the overflow and get a pump to match though a 5g sump is very small. For what purpose are you looking to get a sump?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom