Sump Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came across a free 10g tank and have always wanted a sump, so instead of putting the 10g somewhere with a couple plants and a fishy I'm going to make it into a sump for my 10g i already have!~

My question is (for now) since the old tank i have is a 10g from petco unless i use a pump theres no way to get water up and out of it. I was hoping for some ideas (other then drill a hole into the tank) on how to get water from the top to the sump.

You could use a overflow very easy to build and costefective

I will look into that, I always thought an overflow had to have like a hole drilled into the tank

The biggest problem with siphon overflows is that if something goes wrong lots of water goes on the floor. If you drill it, you can still wind up with water on the floor, but your chances are lower :)

You need to have an HOB overflow like this ;
CPR CS50 Siphon Overflow
I highly recommend the Toms lifter pump like listed with unit.
Or you can make a PVC DIY one.Many out there that work.
Then you need a pump that can pump about enough with head pressure.
You need to factor the height from top of aquarium to bottom of sump to know 'Head Pressure ' . Any 90 degree elbows in the return line count as 1 foot head pressure.
Many pumps that pump 500GPH will only proved a trickle of that at 4 feet of head pressure so make sure the pump tells you the conversion.
I like over sizing pumps and using a ball valve after the pump to control the flow.

Back
Top Bottom