Sump, will this work before I build it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaylam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys,

I have recently ordered my tank (being delivered at weekend) but as yes have not ordered the skimmer. I want to try and get a sump going on with the setup but I dont want to drill the tank. Also I am limited for space so wondered if you guys to look over the pic and tell me A if it will work and B if it is or is not a good idea.

Obviously the sump will also contain the heater and LR.

Sorry for the newbie question but im new to saltwater and the learning curve is massive from tropical to saltwalter.

Thanks

11.jpg

A. Yes it will work.
B. Your missing a few ideas with a sump. Check this site out, it will give you some ideas on some different routes you can take with sumps. Usually people make baffles and chambers for different things. A lot of times these chambers are designed to replace the elements in your canister filter.

I would get an in-sump skimmer personally. I feel they have less problems then the HOB versions, but its a personal preference. ASM and Octopus skimmers are the best, but not cheap by any standards.

HTH. Let us know if you have any other questions, Welcome to AA!

A. Yes it will work.
B. Your missing a few ideas with a sump. Check this site out, it will give you some ideas on some different routes you can take with sumps. Usually people make baffles and chambers for different things. A lot of times these chambers are designed to replace the elements in your canister filter.

I would get an in-sump skimmer personally. I feel they have less problems then the HOB versions, but its a personal preference. ASM and Octopus skimmers are the best, but not cheap by any standards.

HTH. Let us know if you have any other questions, Welcome to AA!

Thanks, well the reason I will still be using the filter and not replacing it with the sump is because the cabinet I have has 2 doors but they are small, so was going to put the filter one side and a small tank with the skimmer and return pump the other side.

One question I have is obviously the return pump is going to pump water back to the tank faster than it falls down the overflow. Can the pump speed be controlled.

One question I have is obviously the return pump is going to pump water back to the tank faster than it falls down the overflow. Can the pump speed be controlled.
What is the overflow rated for in GPH? What is the pump rated for in GPH after head loss? If, for example, your overflow is rated to 1200 GPH and your pump does 1500 GPH, put a gate valve on the pump intake side to slow the water down. You don't want to put the valve on the output side of the pump because it puts extra strain on the pump motor.

If your overflow is rated for 1200 GPH and your pump 1000 GPH, your good to go. The overflow will only drain as fast as the pump pushes the water back into the tank.

What is the overflow rated for in GPH? What is the pump rated for in GPH after head loss? If, for example, your overflow is rated to 1200 GPH and your pump does 1500 GPH, put a gate valve on the pump intake side to slow the water down. You don't want to put the valve on the output side of the pump because it puts extra strain on the pump motor.

If your overflow is rated for 1200 GPH and your pump 1000 GPH, your good to go. The overflow will only drain as fast as the pump pushes the water back into the tank.

I thought the overflow is gravity feed?

The overflow is gravity feed, but there are limits as to how much water gravity can move through a specific pipe diameter. If the pump can move water into the tank faster than the overflow can move it out, you'll have a flood.

Looks just like my wet/dry set up.

you're gonna love the eheim pro 3 its awesome.

Yes, I use the standard overflow to sump line, however I only use a 3/4" like from the pump to the tank. Thus not causing an overflow.

Id put a ball valve inline on your pump, you can throttle it down if its too much pressure or flow.

Ive seen the skimmers inside the sumps almost center, on one side is the return pump and the other is usually a fiber "sock" that the overflow drains into.

Looks just like my wet/dry set up.

you're gonna love the eheim pro 3 its awesome.

QUOTE]

Well they guy in the shop did try to sell me the classic but when I was spending £800 on all the other bits an extract £50 for a much better filter is nothing.

Thanks for all the replies guys I just need to wait for it to arrive on sunday and measure the cabinet cuboards to see if I can use a sump or if im going to have to use HOB skimmer.

2evx3bq.jpg

thats mine, I love it, its got wheels which rock on the tile flooring, its easy to disconnect, easy well semi easy to start back up, uber easy to clean and maintain.

I run mine thru a reactor for the Co2 before going into the tank, and the eheim is plumbed as a auto drain as well. Basically my water gets really filtered before being dumped into a sock then into the basement sump drain for waste water.

that 50 pounds will be worth every single last bit of it. What I dont get is why people will spend the money on a fluval and not an eheim. Same price range and the eheim outperforms the fluval on every level.

Im sure its gonna look nice,mate. Cant wait for pics.

Thanks for all the replies guys it must be annoying being asked the same stuff all the time but I will be spending most of today reading up so im ready for tomorrow.

Will post some pics when it arrives tomorrow (fishless of course)

You keep asking those questions. You are not being annoying. We have some of the best DIY folks at this site that want to help.

Agreed, keep on asking! Its much easier for us to regurgitate the same info then it is to help people who have screwed up massively from simple and stupid mistakes. :p
Acquisition of knowledge is your greatest key to success in a SW aquarium.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom