Surpirse, another stocking thread (36 gal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southpaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright I am in the stages of wanting to add another tank. I am looking at a 36 gal bf. What would be your guys ideas for stocking it? I think I want to make it a planted tank but unsure of what the lighting fixture would take. I know I'll be putting some guppies in there once the fry grow up. My girlfriend has voiced she wants rams. Ideas?

In my 36 gallon I'm having 5 guppies (red and yellow)
Some albino cories and some panda cories (either 3 or 4 of each)
1 pearl gourami,
A pair of either german blue or bolivian rams,
A bristlenose pleco,
And possible some white fin rosy tetra if I have enough room, ill see if I feel its over stocked once I start.

I already have 5 guppies, 2 albino cories and the bristlenose pleco so am just gradually adding the rest. Hope this gives you some ideas :)

Nine pearl danios, Danio albolineatus, for the mid to top water column. Don't underestimate their colors. In the shops they look horrible, but will color-up nicely in an ideal environment.

A paradise fish, Macropodus opercularis, as the main fish. If you're not able to find a paradise fish, try a thick-lipped gourami, Trichogaster labiosa. They are very similar to the dwarf gourami's but will grow an additional inch or two.

For the bottom I would go with zebra loaches, Botia striata. You may have to order these online, but they're well worth it. They'll get to about three inches so a school of 5 or 6 should be good. I almost caved in on a school of these on Aquabid not too long ago. Should have done it!

I would keep the guppies in a smaller tank...

David

1 Pair Bolivian Rams, 10 Hatchet Fish, 1 Angel Fish, 6 Cory Cats, Just some ideas... In my 25 gal I am doing 6 Hatchet Fish, 2 German Blue Rams, 10 Ember Tetras, 5 Amano Shrimp, 2 Nerite Snails or 3 CU Fish.

2 rams(German are alot harder than Bolivian to keep)
6 panda Cory's
1 angelfish
6 cardinal tetras
10 harqualin rasbora
All of your places in the column at filled but not crowded. It's be a nice tank!

Thank you guys for all of your input! Would a pair of angels and a pair of rams be a recipe for disaster? And/or overstocked?

Depends of the footprint of the tank. I would say 1 Angel and 2 Rams, but if there is a large footprint you should be okay.

I'm looking at the 36 now so it would be 30x15x21 my initial reaction would be that it would not work. I would love to use this as a grow out tank for my guppy fry too until I sell them off. I'm leaning to just the pair of rams.

Or I may get a 40 breeder and that would be enough room. Weighing the pros and cons.

Back
Top Bottom