Switching from HoB filter to Canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartinBlank

Aquarium Advice Freak
Switching from a Aquaclear 110 to an Eheim 2217 on my freshwater 75 gallon.

Right now I have them both running so the Eheim can build up a good bacteria colony. How long until you think it is reasonably safe to pull the HoB off in this situation? 2 weeks? longer?

MartinBlank said:
Switching from a Aquaclear 110 to an Eheim 2217 on my freshwater 75 gallon.

Right now I have them both running so the Eheim can build up a good bacteria colony. How long until you think it is reasonably safe to pull the HoB off in this situation? 2 weeks? longer?

What are planning to do with the HOB after you take it out? What I did with mine since I didn't plan to use it after taking it out, I pulled out some bio-media out of the AC each week(3 weeks total). Thinking that if I take some BB out, it will grow elsewhere. Most likely in the canister.

mfdrookie516 said:
A couple weeks minimum. A month if you want to play it safe.

Agreed, a month will be better.... Also i think that your tank s big enough, maybe not bad idea to keep running both... This will give you an automated fully cycle HOB filter in case you need a QT tank.....

Ok sounds good. A month it is. I was hoping sooner :whistle:

The main reason I am getting rid of the 110 is the noise, and the amount of flow. To much of both, so I don't plan on keeping both running.

It ran fine for the year I have run it, but it is just time for a change (and the eheim is just absolutely silent :)) According to AqAdvisor, the 2217 should be more than enough filtration. I know that site isn't gospel, but I also know they try to error on the side of caution, so I think I am good.

Ahahahaha I dont though there's such thing as too much filtration! As long as ur fish don't get pushed around by the current in saying that! I have a eheim pro 2 2028 and ac110 on my 39g! And a ac70 on my 10g! :)

I also switched from an HOB to a canister. I changed because I wanted better filtration, but even more because of the fact my HOB was so noisy.

I left them both running together for about 2 weeks, and during that time I slowly moved every single piece of filter media from my HOB into the bio-media area of my new Fluval 405 to help seed the ceramic media. Once the HOB was empty and everything was moved over, I let it run a day and took it down. There was no movement in any of the parameters.

To this day I still have filter pads from the old HOB jammed in my canister with the ceramics...I don't throw any bacteria away unless it's absolutely necessary. It also helps to have it in there in case I need to break out the HOB to set up a QT, or if a friend needs some seeded media :)

Back
Top Bottom