Switching to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I officially have black sand in my aquarium! I used the bottle method to do it, and kept all of my fish in. It's a bit cloudy, but settling quickly! I am do excited! I have a bunch of live plants on the way, to make it look even better!

You got the blasting sand from tractor supply? What size grain did you use?

If you get a puffer make sure you buy more than one and those dwarfs are tiiiiiiny I saw a tank a pet shop and was looking in it and I didn't see anything till they swam outta the gravel lol

If you get a puffer make sure you buy more than one and those dwarfs are tiiiiiiny I saw a tank a pet shop and was looking in it and I didn't see anything till they swam outta the gravel lol

I don't think three gallons is enough for a puffer. I have been looking into it lately. I would love it, but I want it to be happy. I was under the impression that you could only house more than one in a larger tank, because of aggression. I have thought about getting a Betta, but everyone is telling me that 3 gallons isn't enough for a Betta.

I don't think three gallons is enough for a puffer. I have been looking into it lately. I would love it, but I want it to be happy. I was under the impression that you could only house more than one in a larger tank, because of aggression. I have thought about getting a Betta, but everyone is telling me that 3 gallons isn't enough for a Betta.

Bettas have about the same requirements as dwarf puffers (tank size wise).

Maybe an RCS tank?

Bettas have about the same requirements as dwarf puffers (tank size wise).

Maybe an RCS tank?

I have decided I don't want to do shrimp. It would be nice, but I would have to order them, pay shipping...I am wanting to get something that my fish store has.

Is there anything else that can live in three gallons? I thought Bettas did great in three gallons, but I guess I was wrong.

If you haven't made the switch quick go to YouTube and watch "cleaning sand the easy way". It's the one with the bottle. I did that and got 0 cloudiness. I can disturb the sand without anything getting cloudy.

I am so glad you posted that YouTube search. Just watched it and that's amazing...that guy is genius.

She never ever bothers my fish! She is a very sweet girl! :)

I have a girl too. You see her as an infant in my profile pic. Her name is Francine. Francine the Frog. She is already darting at any of my fish that get near her. Not all the time though, only during or after feeding her.

I am about to put her in her own 20g long. I have river rocks ready for that tank. Let me know how the tank goes with frog and sand.

I have a girl too. You see her as an infant in my profile pic. Her name is Francine. Francine the Frog. She is already darting at any of my fish that get near her. Not all the time though, only during or after feeding her.

I am about to put her in her own 20g long. I have river rocks ready for that tank. Let me know how the tank goes with frog and sand.

It's going great so far! She doesn't kick up the sand or anything!!!!

It's going great so far! She doesn't kick up the sand or anything!!!!

Hmmm...you did black, so I'll have to do something different ;) maybe I can find a nice deep brown, haven't seen much of that, and you couldn't get more natural right?

Hmmm...you did black, so I'll have to do something different ;) maybe I can find a nice deep brown, haven't seen much of that, and you couldn't get more natural right?

The black looks amazing!!!! Once my plants get here, it will look even better! The funny thing about my frog, is that she had never even seen a fish in her life until last year. I decided I was going to put fish in with her(her name is Boudreaux) and she never cared. If they get close to her, she just swims away. I know my fish and snails seem to enjoy having sand instead of gravel. I only paid $7 for a 50lb bag of black blasting sand at Tractor Supply. I think cleaning the sand and then lowering it in to the tank works better. When I did my second tank, that's how I did it. It did not get the least bit cloudy.

The black looks amazing!!!! Once my plants get here, it will look even better! The funny thing about my frog, is that she had never even seen a fish in her life until last year. I decided I was going to put fish in with her(her name is Boudreaux) and she never cared. If they get close to her, she just swims away. I know my fish and snails seem to enjoy having sand instead of gravel. I only paid $7 for a 50lb bag of black blasting sand at Tractor Supply. I think cleaning the sand and then lowering it in to the tank works better. When I did my second tank, that's how I did it. It did not get the least bit cloudy.

Yes mine has always lived with fish as she was misidentified and sold as an ADF lol

Yes mine has always lived with fish as she was misidentified and sold as an ADF lol

She is just hungry! Mine doesn't eat much. She LOVES bloodworms. She will only eat every three or four days. My 2 1/2 year old daughter loves her! It is her job to feed the fish every night. She reminds me if I forget.

I have a 10 gallon that I want to put fish in so bad, but I need it for emergencies. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 3 gallon. I took the gravel out of it yesterday, and put sand. I will be putting plants in it this week too. I just don't know what to do...

She is just hungry! Mine doesn't eat much. She LOVES bloodworms. She will only eat every three or four days. My 2 1/2 year old daughter loves her! It is her job to feed the fish every night. She reminds me if I forget.

I have a 10 gallon that I want to put fish in so bad, but I need it for emergencies. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 3 gallon. I took the gravel out of it yesterday, and put sand. I will be putting plants in it this week too. I just don't know what to do...

Sounds to me like a great problem to have

Oh for a 3 gallon oh nvm you need 5 gallons per puffer I have one in a 40 gallon tank by itself but I plan on getting more

Plant tank with a betta? Not sure how much space bettas need to be happy. Coolest idea I've heard is to have a shrimp tank.

Plant tank with a betta? Not sure how much space bettas need to be happy. Coolest idea I've heard is to have a shrimp tank.

I have thought about the shrimp tank. The problem I have it that I would have to order them, and I don't really want to spend that much on shrimp. They are cute, but I'm not sure it's for me. If I knew someone around me that could give me some, I might just try them.

Back
Top Bottom