Switching to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't put black sand in my tank but I did put pool filter sand, I used about 60 pounds for a 55 gallon aquarium, it took me two hours to rinse.

I had three 5 gallon buckets filled each half with sand and then filled it with water, I suggest some rubber gloves because the sand will eat your hands up, mix the sand up, wait for 30 seconds (the water will be very cloudy at first) and pour the water out, repeat about 15 times or until you mix the sand up and in about 10 seconds the water is clear.

I did this process for my 55 gallon and 29 gallon tank and never had any cloudy water.

Not the most fun process in the world but you will see why its beneficial to clean the sand while you are doing it.....enjoy

Thank you for the info! I don't know why I want black. I may end up deciding on white. I am just so excited about doing this, and want to do it right. I have really began to hate the look of gravel, after seeing all these beautiful tanks in here!

I have the white in my 125 and love the look. I know the darker the substrate the more the colors of the fish will pop.

Attachments

• image-1650419749.jpg
    image-1650419749.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 56
Here's a pic after I added some driftwood

Attachments

• image-504012103.jpg
    image-504012103.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 75
If you haven't made the switch quick go to YouTube and watch "cleaning sand the easy way". It's the one with the bottle. I did that and got 0 cloudiness. I can disturb the sand without anything getting cloudy.

If you haven't made the switch quick go to YouTube and watch "cleaning sand the easy way". It's the one with the bottle. I did that and got 0 cloudiness. I can disturb the sand without anything getting cloudy.

Can you post a link? I can't find that one...or maybe I'm just blind tonight.

Oh wow! I found it! I guess you just put brand new dry sand it the bottle, let it fill with water, and turn it over? No other washing required?

Pool filter sand:D

Lol, I guess I should have figured that out! I am going to buy my sand today. Tractor supply has a 50lb bag of black blasting sand for $9! I am a bit nervous though. I am afraid of ruining my filter. The intake goes almost to the gravel. I do have a back up one, but its not as good as this one. Also, I have an ACF. I'm hoping she doesn't kick up too much sand.

I officially have black sand in my aquarium! I used the bottle method to do it, and kept all of my fish in. It's a bit cloudy, but settling quickly! I am do excited! I have a bunch of live plants on the way, to make it look even better!

I officially have black sand in my aquarium! I used the bottle method to do it, and kept all of my fish in. It's a bit cloudy, but settling quickly! I am do excited! I have a bunch of live plants on the way, to make it look even better!

The reason why it sucked for me to do fish in - poop. I had a thick gravel bed and there was a BUNCH of poop at the bottom and I couldn't see 2 inches into my tank from the poop

The reason why it sucked for me to do fish in - poop. I had a thick gravel bed and there was a BUNCH of poop at the bottom and I couldn't see 2 inches into my tank from the poop

Yeah, there was a good bit of poop. I took out the gravel, then added clean sand, and then did a 50-60% wc. It cleared it up fast. It's still pretty cloudy, but clearing up fast. I also made a little cover for my filter intake. It is keeping the sand out of it. I have 6 adult platies, two blue gouramis, and ACF, and an albino bristle nose pleco.

Wow looks great

Thank you. It's really bare right now. Just a wood ornaments and some java fern. Oh, and the seashells my daughter picked up when she went to the beach the first time. I can't wait to have it full of plants! I am thinking about putting sand in my 3 gallon fry tank too. My fry are going to their new homes soon, and I want to put one Betta in there with some live plants. Or maybe a dwarf puffer?!

Back
Top Bottom