Switching to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyKisses

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have decided to take the plunge... I am getting rid of my gravel, and moving on to sand. I am hoping to find black sand at Home Depot tomorrow. I have no idea how to do the swap. I want to cause as little stress for my fish as possible. I am under the impression(please correct me if I'm wrong) that sand will be easier to keep clean. I have been having some problems with my nitrates being high, so I am wanting to keep it as clean as possible. I have a 30 gallon tank...how many pounds of sand? I am also wanting to get rid of all my plastic plants, and put live plants that will help keep a healthy tank. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

I also have sand in my 125 gallon I have 200 lbs but I wanted a thick sand bed. It is very easy to keep clean as the waste just sits on top. I have no experience with live plants. Not sure if this is true but I thought I heard 10 lbs of sand per 10 gallons.

I also have sand in my 125 gallon I have 200 lbs but I wanted a thick sand bed. It is very easy to keep clean as the waste just sits on top. I have no experience with live plants. Not sure if this is true but I thought I heard 10 lbs of sand per 10 gallons.

That sounds like a decent amount. I kinda want it thick too. I really like the idea of waste sitting on top. How do you vacuum it?

I just hover as close to the sand as possible to not suck up the sand with it. If it does not lift off the top right away I will do small circular motions above it to get it up off the sand. Some times I can't get everything with vac so then I will go in with a net and scoop the rest out.

I just hover as close to the sand as possible to not suck up the sand with it. If it does not lift off the top right away I will do small circular motions above it to get it up off the sand. Some times I can't get everything with vac so then I will go in with a net and scoop the rest out.

That sounds easy enough. Can you suggest a good way to make the switch? I have seen videos of people taking their fish out to do it, and some leave them in...

Also I have read other people on here that have used black sand blasting sand from tractor supply if you have one around your area. I think I will be doing that for a 55 I am going to be getting this week.

Also I have read other people on here that have used black sand blasting sand from tractor supply if you have one around your area. I think I will be doing that for a 55 I am going to be getting this week.

Our Tractor Supply just opened last year...I will check them out tomorrow!

That I am not to sure on as I started with the sand in the tank so I am not sure. Do you have another tank to take the fish out while you do it? Just so the fish don't get to stressed.

Sand in a little easier to keep clean the only problem I've ever had with it was that algae started to take over the tank and was growing on everything I had to buy 4 plecos to get rid of it. Another major thing about it is it can get sucked into your filter and break the motor so when you put the sand in dont run the filter I broke a 40$ filter doin that but it's easy to sift through but it kicks up a lot of sand if you do it wrong

That I am not to sure on as I started with the sand in the tank so I am not sure. Do you have another tank to take the fish out while you do it? Just so the fish don't get to stressed.

I have a 10 gallon that is empty. I can just swap them over(with water from the aquarium) until its done. I'm not sure how long I need to keep the fish out of the 30 gallon once I put the sand in though.

If you don't mind stirring the sand manually to avoid gas pockets otherwise you can pick up some Malaysian trumpet snails they will burrow in the sand and will do it for you.

I have a 10 gallon that is empty. I can just swap them over(with water from the aquarium) until its done. I'm not sure how long I need to keep the fish out of the 30 gallon once I put the sand in though.

I noticed when I first put my sand in it took a couple hours for it to all settle but not sure how heavy the black sand is.

If you don't mind stirring the sand manually to avoid gas pockets otherwise you can pick up some Malaysian trumpet snails they will burrow in the sand and will do it for you.

I am getting some water sprite, and some wisteria. I have a small amount of java fern already. Will MTS eat my plants? I already have 10 MTS and 6 golden mystery snails.

I noticed when I first put my sand in it took a couple hours for it to all settle but not sure how heavy the black sand is.

I wonder if I should just keep my fish out for 24 hours to let it settle completely?!

I am getting some water sprite, and some wisteria. I have a small amount of java fern already. Will MTS eat my plants? I already have 10 MTS and 6 golden mystery snails.

I don't have live plants but I have heard they leave them alone.

I didn't put black sand in my tank but I did put pool filter sand, I used about 60 pounds for a 55 gallon aquarium, it took me two hours to rinse.

I had three 5 gallon buckets filled each half with sand and then filled it with water, I suggest some rubber gloves because the sand will eat your hands up, mix the sand up, wait for 30 seconds (the water will be very cloudy at first) and pour the water out, repeat about 15 times or until you mix the sand up and in about 10 seconds the water is clear.

I did this process for my 55 gallon and 29 gallon tank and never had any cloudy water.

Not the most fun process in the world but you will see why its beneficial to clean the sand while you are doing it.....enjoy

Good luck and I am sure you will love the sand once you get it in there.

Back
Top Bottom