Swordtails fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldstar8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a small 10 gallon tank with a variety of community fish including a couple of male swordtails. Last week, I noticed that one of the swordtails' fins was starting to shred. We've had problems with the guppies in our tank with their tails shredding. In fact, all but one guppy has died because of it. All of the other fish are fine, no issues at all.

When I saw the swordtail start to have the same problem, I immediately quarantined him and began treatment using Melafix. It seems to have worked, his tail was back to normal after a couple of days. We decided to keep him quarantined for another day just to make sure he was doing good. I just reintroduced him back to the main tank and the other swordtail immediately started to harass him, chasing him around the tank and trying to force him to the bottom. I saw that swordtail males can be territorial but these 2 have been with each other the whole time except for when I quarantined the one. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

gol...

Your Swordtail is crowded in such a small tank. Swordtails are larger fish and need a larger tank. I keep fish like these in a 60 gallon tank. I have black Swordtails and these fish get big and are fairly fast breeders. Males are aggressive around other males. A 10 G tank is no place for a 2 inch plus fish that wants its own space for breeding.

Small tanks are more difficult to manage than large ones and small tanks can only support very small fish.

B

The one male will kill the weak one.
Most male swords are tough,some are brutal... In general male livebearers are so tough and 'on point' that the 1m:3f ratio is so easily advocated by many...The male sword will fair no better then the male gups.
Don't add any more as BB said 10g is no place for a grown sword.It is shame the industry has made the 10g such a popular choice.It really is no place for many fish in all honesty...I hope your community is small,or maybe you have plans to upgrade someday...

We're hoping to upgrade. This was a "test" tank to see how our daughters would like an aquarium and if they could be responsible to help with taking care of it. They've done great so we'll probably see about upgrading in the near future.

That is good to hear! It is even better to involve the children.Many are still in this hobby today thanks to their parents....:cool:
Now that I am old and can myself enjoy a healthy fun hobby I am grateful to my family for starting me.:rolleyes:
Swords are tough though as I said .I breed them and keep my males together separated from the females. The female will drive the alpha male to dominate even more IMO. The 1 male to 3 females is to spread out his interest even in the females.Males are just rough fish.
Some theory to the flash of the sword,or brighter colors not only attract females but also warn other males to keep their distance....

Back
Top Bottom