Taking the plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the info beengirl ill look into that. Its reef safe right?

Again, I've never used it, but I've read that it's reef safe. I don't usually like chemical solutions either, but I've heard that cyano can be a real pain to get rid of.
But do figure out why you have it too. Keep up on regular PWCs, feed less, maybe add a PH to increase flow because cyano tends to grow in low flow areas, maybe need to decrease lighting time, etc.

As she says, cyano is not the real problem. It is a symptom of excessive nutrients. You will need to reduce the real problem thru less feeding and/or nutrient removal.
I have also heard many others who have successfully used additives specifically designed for cyano removal.

Im new to saltwater. How much should i feed? Im feeding a small amount once a day. Should i change to every other day? Ive been keeping african cichlids for years, saltwater is quite a bit different and im still learning. I thank you all for your help!

Again, I've never used it, but I've read that it's reef safe. I don't usually like chemical solutions either, but I've heard that cyano can be a real pain to get rid of.
But do figure out why you have it too. Keep up on regular PWCs, feed less, maybe add a PH to increase flow because cyano tends to grow in low flow areas, maybe need to decrease lighting time, etc.

Im pretty sure the flow in the tank isnt a problem. I have three 1450 gph koralias in there and it grows right in front of them. I dont think adding more flow would do it. Ive been leaving my lights on for 10 hours, im going to try 8 hours and see if it helps any.

ROFLMAO!! My 5 yr old daughter was looking at the tank and said "daddy can we get a killer whale for the tank?" i almost died laughing. I told her i really wish we could, but we would need a slightly bigger tank lol!

ROFLMAO!! My 5 yr old daughter was looking at the tank and said "daddy can we get a killer whale for the tank?" i almost died laughing. I told her i really wish we could, but we would need a slightly bigger tank lol!

Ahhhhh haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa.

I feed every 2-3 days. There is always lots of stuff for the fish to eat in the tank. Algae, and pods being a few. Also more frequent water changes will help export the nutrients that feed the cyano. Check your water source as well. Does it have phosphates in it? It takes time to get rid of it but once ya do its a great thing.

If you put live rock in the tank they should be in there. Look with a flashlight after lights out.

How big are they? I have 100 pounds of LR so i guess i should have some.

Very small white bug like critters. Kinda hard to see. Look on your rocks with a flashlight.

I looked last night and i didnt see any. I guess im going to introduce some into my system.

You will need to establish your pod pop. They do grow on their own but if you introduce them they will be able to reproduce in their own. Do you have a Fuge or separate tank for filtration?

Your tank is about a month older than mine and you have plenty of live rock. There should be lots of pods in there. Not sure of your stock list. Do you have anything that uses pods as It's primary food source, e.g. dragonett. I saw you have a pair of clowns in one of your previous posts.

I have a black and white percula clown, the orange one jumped out and died. I also have a yelow eye kole tang and 2 damsels.

Are your damsels harassing any of your other fish? I traded mine back to the fish store, nippy little buggers. I have my share of aggression in my African cichlid tank. The reef is peaceful.

No agressivness from them yet. I plan on taking them out sometime.

No agressivness from them yet. I plan on taking them out sometime.

Good luck catching them, I had to take out all my live rock to catch mine. Luckily I had no coral at that time. They are fast! Glad to hear they're not nipping fins.

Back
Top Bottom