tank almost 2 months old and no corraline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classklown90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I keep seeing all these biocubes with large patches of purple growth on the back wall, I believe its corraline? anyway I have very little of this on my rocks and none on my wall. Only place that its very prevelant is on a rock that i bought that had already been covered. Why isnt it showing up? BTW i have a 14 G biocube. its a month and 3 weeks old

it took over a year for my biocube to be covered as much as it was.. its not an over night deal

There's a company that puts base rock in the ocean and then sell it as live rock. I believe they leave it in the ocean for 10 years.

okay so the fact that i see little is not a probem? i just thought itd start showing up alot now. guess not. thanks guys

What are your calcium and alkalinity levels? If your calcium is at least 380ppm and your alkalinity is above 8 dKh, then you should be OK. If below those levels, it's going to effect your coralline growth.

But I agree with what the others have said - it takes a while for it to take off. A year for decent coverage is about right. A while back I posted several pictures over the first year of my tank, showing the progression of the coralline. I'll see if I can find that post...

[Edit: Found it. Near the bottom of the following post: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/not-happy-108423.html ]

if you scrape some off of that rock and grind it up and put it back in the water it will spread to other surfaces faster.

You can also just brush the rock with a toothbrush every day or two inside the tank. It'll spread real quick. I did that in my 55 and I started seeing growth on the back wall at 4 months and at the year mark it's pretty much totally covered.

Back
Top Bottom