Tank is ready!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ousig

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've attached my "before" pic of my 110 gallon tank that is ready for some cichlids. I still have a few rocks to add and plan on ordering my first batch this weekend.

Plan on creating an all male peacock tank. Hope to post updates soon but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Peace

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391658091.404330.jpg

Water looks crystal clear(y) I would change up the holy/ocean rock to 1 color, preferably white in order for your peacocks to really pop more color wise. Green algae on white/grey rocks look a lot better as well.

Unfortunately, I only have a few pieces of white rock. Most are red or gray but you make a great point. I will keep my eye open for some white rock and maybe replace a few pieces at a time. I can then use the other rock for a new 55 gallon...if the wife lets me :)

Thanks for the feedback...

Looks great cant wait to see the peacocks. What are you going to do with the Gold Fish?

I'm going to use 2 of them to cycle my 30 gallon and the other 3 will be taken back to the LFS. I'm fairly certain the Peacocks would eventually eliminate the gold fish.

Yes, the marineland led...long, thin, and black. Can't think of the model right now :(

And thanks for the kudos. Now I gotta figure out what to get...

Ok, here is a pic of the 110 gal on move-in day for my first batch of 18 african peacocks. The second shows a group of the new occupants :). So far, I'm fairly certain I got one male baenschi out of 3 :)

Can't wait to watch them grow. Will purchase another 10 or so in another month. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392171628.874162.jpg

Yep. Already planning on how I will do the extraction process. Will most likely have to pull all rock out during water change. Next batch will grow out in 30. I couldn't wait another month to cycle it so added everyone to the big tank.

How long do you think it will take before I will be able to tell? Some of these guys/ladies are barely half an inch, if that.

Thanks on the tank. Trying to read and emulate what people on here do and talk about. Seems to be working so far :)

Peace

Yep. Already planning on how I will do the extraction process. Will most likely have to pull all rock out during water change. Next batch will grow out in 30. I couldn't wait another month to cycle it so added everyone to the big tank.

How long do you think it will take before I will be able to tell? Some of these guys/ladies are barely half an inch, if that.

Thanks on the tank. Trying to read and emulate what people on here do and talk about. Seems to be working so far :)

Peace

A few comments:
1. Not all males will colour up once a dominant Peacock is established
2. Adding various peacocks you will lose track of which species are which. Once you know a fish is a female, what type is it? You risk hybrids when you take them back and do not know what they are. This is one of the down falls of ordering online.
3. Look for egg spots which generally but not always helps tell a male. A pointed anal fin also helps
4. The tank looks nice, you may wish to look at some Anubias. This is a hardy plant and good for non Mbuna. It also helps the water qualiy
5. When buying Peacocks at the store at a small size, study the tank and you will get an idea of possibly males
6. Consider some sight line interuptions like tall plastic plants. This will help some of the sub dominant fish. Another option would be to build up the rock pile. The caves
That you have will help a little

Yeah not all makes color up but they still get some color were females don't get any this was my last female I waited and waited than I realized it was a female I thought it might be a sunshine as I had ordered some but she stayed a green and brownish ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392177363.059860.jpg

I was hoping to get some dither fish that are top of the tank swimmers if there are such a thing compatible with peacocks. I have 2 tall, plastic plants that I decided against. I guess top swimming dither fish might like them? I can definitely re-add them but didn't think they would work for a peacock tank.

So, do I just keep all of the females in a separate tank? I was hoping the females would have some visual difference between them. Will the males be able to tell them apart or do I need to keep them separated by type until sexed?

I feel like I screwed up???

I was hoping to get some dither fish that are top of the tank swimmers if there are such a thing compatible with peacocks. I have 2 tall, plastic plants that I decided against. I guess top swimming dither fish might like them? I can definitely re-add them but didn't think they would work for a peacock tank.

So, do I just keep all of the females in a separate tank? I was hoping the females would have some visual difference between them. Will the males be able to tell them apart or do I need to keep them separated by type until sexed?

I feel like I screwed up???

T keep an eye on them. If they do not color up move them to another holding or grow out tank. If not an option bring em back and save them (and you!) the stress. You didn't screw up! It's all trail and error and wait and see! Being aware and on top of it is exactly what you can and should do!

Either fish aren't needed but if you want some I know Australian rainbow fish or giant danios HAVE WORKED- but don't recommend them. Not needed w Africans.

Edit. Dither fish not either fish!

Last edited:
Yeah not all makes color up but they still get some color were females don't get any this was my last female I waited and waited than I realized it was a female I thought it might be a sunshine as I had ordered some but she stayed a green and brownish

Pretty sure that the fish is a male from looking at the pointed anal fin. I once had a Blue Neon Chirwindi that would not color up. When i put the fish in a separate tank it got its color. Yellow Peacocks sometimes do not colour up if there is a more dominant yellow fish ehich in this case looks to be a yellow lab.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392517089.360696.jpg

Changed up the aqua scape a little by adding a little more rock and a couple plastic plants. So far, no casualties :)

Back
Top Bottom