Tank leaning slightly forward

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David003

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone. I recently transfered my 20 gal long into my new aquatop 40 gal aio tank with matching stand this past Sunday and I absolutely love it! Now, while I was admiring it I noticed it looked like it was leaning forward slightly. I took a picture of the water level and the difference of space in between the stand and the wall using my finger as a guide. I noticed this a few days ago and it has been constantly borthering me worrying about it possibly leaking or the stand failing. If you guys were in my shoes what would you do? I also didnt take in account the tack strip for the carpet. THIS HAS BEEN KEEPING ME UP AT NIGHT!! LOL also, would you guys trust the factory stand?? Should I brace it? Please give me your thoughts and experience. Thank you!0211211907_HDR.jpg0211211907a_HDR.jpg0211211907.jpg

Thank you for the advice. So if I were to go the shimming route where should I put the shims? I know in the front of the stand but on the corners? Or in the middle as well? Would that inturn comprise the integrity of the stand in some areas?
So this might help, pull all the carpet fibers out and forward of the wood from under the front edge of the stand. See if it sits better. Might be easiest if you do it during a pwc.

Option 2 is use a couple shims. Composite so they don't get gross and rot out.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/building-supplies/lumber-and-trim/shims/5627005

How much is it off? Difference from now being level?

Did you check the stand being level before you put the tank on it?

If you check the floor and see if the floor is not level... I would add a few reinforcements if ends up being the stand not setting straight / level. A disclaimer is that I am not a engineer just a hobbyist.

If the floor is not level, my other idea would be to use a strong plywood sized to the stand bottom, and adjust (plane it?) to the not level floor if that is the case.

The tank won't crack being off bubble. The failure of most tanks is due to the frame/ tank being torqued. Like, one corner being higher than the rest, etc. Being off level a little won't hurt the integrity, but... that being said, it could be a tilting or falling hazard. Personally, I would empty it and either move the stand off the tack strip or get another tack strip board thickness item, and level the other 3 sides the full length of the stand

I'm sure excatly how much it is off. I should of checked the stand before I put the tank on it... I just bought a 2ft level and I think I might as well drain it this weekend and move it forward for a peace of mind and then shim if still necessary. In your guys expercine do you guys trust the composite wood stands? Its the one that came with the tank but just seems like a whole lot of weight to put on it lol thanks alot guys

Yeah, I have several in use. I tell you what I did tho, was use an exterior or water resistant paint and painted at least the top to further protect the cheaper laminate and particleboard. I think moving it off the tack strip and getting it level will be sufficient, that's what I'd do too

That is a great idea and good to know. Ive had different tanks however this is my first composite stand and just seems risky haha.. But it seems that many people have had good experiences with them! And I suppose I should trust the manufactures thank you guys

Back
Top Bottom