Tank setup.. Cleaning & filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamiWolfee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently bought a second hand tank... How do I go about cleaning it out... Have done some research and supposedly vinegar is good? I heard about the product API Safe & clean? Clean & easy or something like that but can't find the product. I have also read 1part bleach with 9 parts water and a lot of rinsing with lots of water.. What does everyone else suggest?

Also once it's all cleaned, it's time to set up. the tank has an internal filter which has been glued into the corner.. There's space to add own filter media.. After research I understand all the different types of filter media.. But which are better of and more suited to my shubunkin goldfish? We have a 112litre tank.. Also could gravel filtration be used as an additional filter? Very confused ?

Sami ????? I ? My ?

Your Tank

I've recently bought a second hand tank... How do I go about cleaning it out... Have done some research and supposedly vinegar is good? I heard about the product API Safe & clean? Clean & easy or something like that but can't find the product. I have also read 1part bleach with 9 parts water and a lot of rinsing with lots of water.. What does everyone else suggest?

Also once it's all cleaned, it's time to set up. the tank has an internal filter which has been glued into the corner.. There's space to add own filter media.. After research I understand all the different types of filter media.. But which are better of and more suited to my shubunkin goldfish? We have a 112litre tank.. Also could gravel filtration be used as an additional filter? Very confused ?

Sami ????? I ? My ?

Hello Sam...

Warm water and standard aquarium salt will clean the tank. Use a soft sponge to scrub. Acurel has several good padded filter media products. You can cut it fit about any filter. If you're talking about under gravel filters, they are still used, but won't work well if you want keep plants other than the floating kind. Most other filters are better.

B

Aquarium salt I have just looked into this on amazon and you can also put it in fresh water tanks? Helps the gills? Would this be the same as cold water fish? Also am going to give the white vinegar and warm water ago first.. Would you have any idea how to remove the build up behind the filter.. It's glued to the glass.. Was thinking a steamer? Thanks

Sami ????? I ? My ?

I use a spray bottle of about 3/4 conditioned tap water, 1/4 white vinegar, and about a teaspoon of lemon juice. I spray a microfiber towel, and when I'm done... The tank looks brand new! It removes fingerprints left by oily hands, hard water stains, and many other things. Even removes wax(i accidentally knocked over a candle)

I personally would not use bleach, but then, I don't trust bleach ever! But I'm here to tell you that the water and vinegar thing works, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper in bulk than safe and clear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have bleached a lot of tanks when I wasn't intending to salvage beneficial bacteria. I let them soak with bleach awhile and then rinsed, then rinsed with a mega dose of dechlorinator. Then wiped with dechlorinator, then dried.

But if you have residue to remove, not bacteria to kill, there is no point to using bleach. Vinegar is better, or a scrub with baking soda.

Don't ever mix vinegar and bleach.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Thank you.. We have gone with vinegar and seems to of worked really well! Next is to decide on filter media. But the more I look into it the more confusing it is, I was going to go with coarse sponge at the bottom for my mechanical media. Then another for the dual purpose.. Poly pads or cirax for the bio media?? Then I'm not sure what type of chemical media to go with.. Could really do with some more opinions? Thanks

Sami ????? I ? My ?

Back
Top Bottom