tank size suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've currently got a 36g with community fish in it including a male betta, I'm wanting to get some different more colourful fish but most things have issues with a betta so I'm planning on buying a small tank for my kitchen to re-home it along with some neons. I'm just wondering realistically what's the smallest size tank i can have a fully grown male beta and 15 full size glo light Tetras in?

I consider a 30-60*30*30 cm (12-24*12*12 inches) tank to be ideal for the average Betta splendens. For Hemigrammus erythrozonus (glowlight tetra), I would consider 60*30*30 cm (24*12*12 inches) to be a minimum.

When you say that yours are full sized, what is their SL (tip of snout to base of tail) or TL (tip of snout to end of central ray of tail) and how old are they? I have seen quite varied reports of their adult size.

Well my betta is around 4inches nose to tail and my tetras are all around the 1inch mark. The guy in the its told me a 45litre would be ok but obviously I've come to hear what the masses have to say lol

1 inch for the tetras isn't adult according to anything I have read: the holotype used for the species description is apparently 1.3 inches (33 mm) TL (see this link for the reference) and while I know it says "maximum length", I think it's refering to that specific individual. Some other sources I have seen claim 2 inches as adult size.

So, I would still aim for a 60*30*30 cm tank (which is 54 litre), but a 60*30*25 cm (45 litres) is also fine and even a 60*25*25 cm (37.5 litre) tank would be great. What I'm trying to say is that it's not the volume that is important, but the length of the tank (and for some species the height, and for larger species the width too). Basically, I wouldn't want to compromise on the length *just in case* the larger estimates for adult size are correct and because they are relatively active (unlike the Bettas, which is why I think a short tank is ok for them most of the time).

Ok well thanks for the in depth reply, very helpful and at least my local lfs bloke isn't full of it either :) I'll get myself back there on pay day and pick one up. Thanks again

Also i just checked and most of my tetras are closer to 2inches i just never really noticed before lol

Depending on what fish you want to add to the 36 gal, the betta may be able to remain in the tank. Some bettas will work in community tanks.

For the betta and 15 glowlight tetras, a 75 litre would be perfect.

Also i just checked and most of my tetras are closer to 2inches i just never really noticed before lol
If they're closer to 2 inches, then I'd try for a slightly longer tank if you have the space. I would really appreciate it if you could get a relatively accurate SL measurement for me when you move them :)

As a general guideline, I prefer to have a 24" tank for small (ember, ruby) tetras, a 36" tank for medium (2") tetras and a 48" tank for larger (Congo, bleeding heart) tetras.

At the end of the day, it's whatever you feel comfortable keeping them in.

I agree with siva. Depending on what else you want, the betta does not necessarily need to be moved.
If you want to move the betta, then you always gets a nice a nice little 5g for the betta and leave the glowlights in the bigger tank.
If you are sure about moving 10 glowlights and the betta, I recommend about 20g. There are some slightly smaller tanks that could work too though, but 20g is the commonly available standard. :)

Its not that the betta is aggressive its that all the other fish i seem to like are fin nippers so id be doing it for his safety more than anything

Thats fine if you want to move him.:) Even when bettas play nice, there are a good handful of fish I would not keep with one because they are nippy. So, if you are looking at nippy species, its a good idea to re-home the betta. Way to be!

bruinsbro1997 said:
IME glowlights are not nippers.

What other fish did you want?

Well originally i was looking at angelfish but i don't think a 36g would be big enough for them so now I'm looking at maybe getting two schools of tiger barbs, some regular and some of the emerald ones. There are countless others that i can't think if that I've wanted in the past but couldnt have due to their nippy nature but i figure if i get the betta out of there then i only have fast, short finned fish

Aye, I'd keep tiger barbs and a Betta well away from each other, although the barbs should be able to mix with the tetras. It is usually safest to keep the barbs in a group of 10-15 per colour morph to avoid them being the nippers.

(Also, I agree that a 36 gallon isn't big enough for angels. After my first attempt at keeping them in a 55 gallon, I decided that I would never want to keep them in anything which was less than 4 ft long and 2 ft tall.)

How do we think tiger barbs would do with dwarf gouramis?? And would 5 regular tiger barbs and 5 emerald tiger barbs not school together?

To some extent, but not as much as they would need to to be safe for other fish.

It would be hit & miss to mix with gouramis unless they were in a large group, in which case it is more likely to work, but not guaranteed.

That's a shame then, I'm definitely keeping the gouramis in there as the main fish i just wanted something else fairly docile and interesting to contrast them to really make the tank pop and also to fill it out a bit. I liked the barbs because they were bright/colourful and a decent size, especially when schooled together

What about rasboras, or dwarf danios? Although both, like most barbs, are mostly shoaling, not schooling (so will keep roughly in a group, but not face the same way). What are the tank dimensions, I might have some suggestions! :)

Back
Top Bottom