Tank sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T1KARMANN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Always see loads of people say that tank is to small for that fish for life

If you buy a fish wisely grow it and then sell it it can make you money to move forward in the hobby

Take peacock bass for £20 at 2"

If you buy them at 2" keep them for 6 months they will grow to about 8" maybe 10" at which point they will be worth £100

If you buy say other fish they may not make you money

People always seam to say that tank is to small for that fish for life but let's face it we all chop and change our stock and some catfish can life for 50 years how many of us will keep them that long

I have got to a stage where most of my fish are to big to sell to anyone even some of the bigger fish store couldn't take them if I wanted to sell

Everyone seams to quote the for life size of fish

I just wondered how many of you intended to keep some fish for 50 years

So why not grow fish enjoy them then sell them and make some money when they get to big

Because most people aren't into the hobby to make money and because it's impossible to know at what point a fish is suffering due to tank size.

Not trying to be a thread stealer but how much is an almost full grown Black Ghost Knife Fish worth? Really not trying to steal the thread but seemed like a good time to ask.

Because most people aren't into the hobby to make money and because it's impossible to know at what point a fish is suffering due to tank size.

It's not the case of making money to get rich it's just money to fund the hobby or buy a bigger tank

I sell stingray pups I breed myself for like £500-600 each I probably make about £3000 per year by the time I take into account the cost of electric food And other bits the hobby still costs me money

People are just a bit to fast to jump on people about fish they buy being to big for the tank

How many of you guys buy a royal panache pleco they grow slow but people just look at the full adult 50 year old pleco and say you 4ft tank is to small when in fact they could probably buy one at 2" and keep it in that tank for over 5 years

Because the reality here in the states is that you can very seldom, if ever, actually sell a bigger fish. Period. I've had tons of big fish donated to me over the past 20 years of every size, species, and color because they have gotten too big for the tanks they were started in, and nobody is willing to buy them. So they end up being donated to the high school, because nobody else wants them. I have a full grown pearl gourami that I would love to find someone to take, that was donated to me three years ago ~ its bigger than a dinner plate in size, and I can't even give it away to any of the LFS in a 250 mile radius, let alone sell the silly thing.

That's one heck of a pearl gourami. I'd love to see it, you got any pics of it?

Ah crude, sorry meant to say common rather than a pearl gourami, and no I don't think that I do. The poor thing was tatooed as a small fish, so I don't have much desire to take pictures of a polka-dotted monster fish.

Oh yeah
Dang poor little guy. Any idea how that happened?

Oh yes, the young lady whose family donated the fish because it had grown too big for the 55 gallon aquarium they raised it in, bought one of those fish tatoo kits because they thought it would be cool.

Fish tattoo kit?!?!?!? Wow. Never seen one and have absolutely no desire to either.

Fish tattoo kit?!?!?!? Wow. Never seen one and have absolutely no desire to either.

Yeah, basically a long hollow needle and a bunch of dyes. You stick the needle full of dye into the skin under the scales. Neither nice or humane, but some people think its a cool thing, and tatoo hearts, words, and anything else they can think of onto their fish.

Because the reality here in the states is that you can very seldom, if ever, actually sell a bigger fish. Period. I've had tons of big fish donated to me over the past 20 years of every size, species, and color because they have gotten too big for the tanks they were started in, and nobody is willing to buy them. So they end up being donated to the high school, because nobody else wants them. I have a full grown pearl gourami that I would love to find someone to take, that was donated to me three years ago ~ its bigger than a dinner plate in size, and I can't even give it away to any of the LFS in a 250 mile radius, let alone sell the silly thing.

I agree with this 100%, people don't want big fish unfortunately. Then again, with the exception of experienced forum members, how many fish last their life expectancy :(

I agree with this 100%, people don't want big fish unfortunately. Then again, with the exception of experienced forum members, how many fish last their life expectancy :(

How many people buy angle fish with tanks way to small for them but people say nothing about that but an Oscar people jump on them very fast to tell them that tank is to small

Iwe have a website in the UK called aquarist classified if you put larger fish on that they normally sell fast if you buy wisely

Just because this forum is mainly for the smaller fish keeper doesn't mean there is no demand for larger fish monster fishkeepers is probably the biggest forum around what fish do you think that forum deals with large or small

How many people buy angle fish with tanks way to small for them but people say nothing about that but an Oscar people jump on them very fast to tell them that tank is to small

Iwe have a website in the UK called aquarist classified if you put larger fish on that they normally sell fast if you buy wisely

Just because this forum is mainly for the smaller fish keeper doesn't mean there is no demand for larger fish monster fishkeepers is probably the biggest forum around what fish do you think that forum deals with large or small

On here, if people say they're keeping a angel fish in too small of a tank, I am 95% sure it doesn't go unnoticed. Also, from what I've seen, the Market for smaller fish is a lot bigger than the one for big fish.

On here, if people say they're keeping a angel fish in too small of a tank, I am 95% sure it doesn't go unnoticed. Also, from what I've seen, the Market for smaller fish is a lot bigger than the one for big fish.

I agree with this.
Honestly most of us dont want the hassle of tearing our display tanks apart to catch a fish we knew would outgrow it. Also in the uk its obviously different than here in the us. Our LFS will not even take big fish for free sometimes!

If someone says they have large altum angles for sale are you telling me there would be no interest Larger fish do sell or are you guys telling me the larger fish market doesn't exist I don't think that's true as I have a waiting list for my stingray pups

Just because it's not on this forum doesn't mean it's not out there

If someone says they have large altum angles for sale are you telling me there would be no interest Larger fish do sell or are you guys telling me the larger fish market doesn't exist I don't think that's true as I have a waiting list for my stingray pups Just because it's not on this forum doesn't mean it's not out there

I think the main problem is the majority of people start with a small tank and get bad advice from the lfs. That's where 90% of the problem starts. I know when I was younger I brought a 5g bowl and 3 goldfish at the same time from the same store. No filter or anything and they said it would be fine....

If someone says they have large altum angles for sale are you telling me there would be no interest Larger fish do sell or are you guys telling me the larger fish market doesn't exist I don't think that's true as I have a waiting list for my stingray pups

Just because it's not on this forum doesn't mean it's not out there

I didn't day it didn't exist, I said it isn't as popular as the smaller fish Market. When I go to the local fish shops in my area, they hardly have any "big fish" in. They have oscars, cichlids and black ghost knifes but they don't house many. The reason is because no one wants to have to keep on upgrading tanks or just buy a huge tank outright. I'm on about 5 different forums and I often browse eBay and aquabid. Still the smaller tropical fish seem to gather more interest and are sold more commonly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom