Tank Supplements - Is Trace Neccesary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. I am wondering if I need to add a product like Kent Cichlid Trace when I already use Seachem cichlid buffer and salt products. Does the cichlid salt not contain the necessary trace elements?

Salt is not required. (LOL, NVM I see that is not NaCL, but a blend of different elements suited for cichlids. :D )

If you are doing routine PWC's, then all the trace elements that the fish need will be replenished.

Though I don't like to buffer ANY aquarium, if you are housing SA cichlids, I can see why you would IF you have soft water. I just use rocks that contain a type of buffer in them when building my rock work.

The salt I use is Seachem Cichlid Salt Mix, I am going to house Mbunas and maybe a few Haps. I have crushed coral in the filter, but not sure how much a part that plays yet. So far, the PH has been stable while cycling.

I'm getting ready to start a Cichlid tank as well (Africans), and I also have crushed coral as my substrate. Out of curiosity, what pH as your tank been holding at? Also, if you remember, what brand of coral did you use? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom