Tank water parameters reading at 0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just tested and my nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia were all 0. Usually my nitrates are between 10 and 20, but I usually test 3-4 days after a water change not a day after so maybe that's why I'm getting 0 nitrates. I also shook both bottles when I normally shake just the second bottle.

I just tested and my nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia were all 0. Usually my nitrates are between 10 and 20, but I usually test 3-4 days after a water change not a day after so maybe that's why I'm getting 0 nitrates. I also shook both bottles when I normally shake just the second bottle.

Hi Anna94: A nitrate of 0 in a stocked, established tank is very unlikely. There's no need to shake the first reagent bottle, but the second one needs to be VIOLENTLY shaken for at least 30 seconds, longer if your arm will tolerate it. You also have to shake the test tube after you've added the second reagent.

How old is your test kit?

Ann...

I would review the steps for testing and test again. I let my newly set up tanks run for several months and tested the tank water every few days, typically before and after my weekly large water changes. After this time, I no longer tested. I just removed and replaced half or more of the water weekly. I found if I changed enough tank water and did it weekly, there was no problem with dissolved fish wastes building up in the water before I removed them by doing my weekly water change.

B

Hi Anna94: A nitrate of 0 in a stocked, established tank is very unlikely. There's no need to shake the first reagent bottle, but the second one needs to be VIOLENTLY shaken for at least 30 seconds, longer if your arm will tolerate it. You also have to shake the test tube after you've added the second reagent.

How old is your test kit?

It doesn't expire until 2019 or 2020.

It doesn't expire until 2019 or 2020.

Good. Then it may just be a matter of repeating the test, this time shaking the daylights of the second bottle before adding the reagent to the test tube.

Yes. Make sure you shake the second bottle for 30 seconds and shake the tube for 1 minute or more after adding the second chemical in. Sometimes I get odd results so I just test again.

These are my results after repeating the test correctly. I think my cycle restarted or something. My tank is also slightly cloudy, even though it doesn't look like it in the pics.IMG_5834.jpgIMG_5835.jpgIMG_5837.jpg

You re arranged the tank that may be why.

The plants weren't even buried in the gravel. I just picked them up and moved them so they can't be why. I think it's because on Thursday, I gravel vacuumed and drained water and then added new gravel to existing gravel. While I did that I spread it around and the tank did get cloudy because of it. Also while doing that I had everything in the tank off, including the filter, but I kept adding water to my filter to keep my biological media wet, but the water I used was the water that was already in the tank and the new dechlorinated water that was in the pitcher with the gravel in it. After all the gravel was added I refilled the tank, but added Prime before the new water went into the tank and I turned everything in the tank back on after a few minutes.

Adding new gravel to existing gravel wouldn't cause it to recycle as the bio bed is still in there from before, moving decor wouldn't cause it either, I literally just changed every bit of my gravel and my water tests perfect, did you take the old gravel out and add all bran new? Did you change filters or filter cartridges, if you changed the gravel did you add liquid bacteria like api stress zyme+, you had to of done something you're looking over that caused this
20170205_072318.jpg20170205_072254.jpgView attachment 1

Attachments

• 20170205_213037.jpg
    20170205_213037.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 95
OK I re read the post, you should of put your media from the filter in a bucket of tank water, or left it running (if it doesn't loose its siphon) and even adding or removing things from the tank like gravel that had Bb in it you have to add liquid bacteria back into the tank unless you have a lot of media BB is grown on

How much water did you take out you should never have to go over 30% weekly learned this the other day as well, 50% can be to much.

Reason why you should of put media in a bucket of tank water is because it's going to be the same temp the tank was running at, temperature change/shock will kill beneficial bacteria that's on your media (aquarium adventure) told me this
I would get some liquid bacteria and dose the tank and do only water changes don't touch the gravel until you start getting your parameters back in order.

Never ever ever rinse media off in anything but tank water not even treated water, the only thing you clean with regular water is the plastic casing, and you don't thoroughly clean the media just dip it in the siphoned water from the tank, swish lightly to get big debris off and put it back in.

OK I re read the post, you should of put your media from the filter in a bucket of tank water, or left it running (if it doesn't loose its siphon) and even adding or removing things from the tank like gravel that had Bb in it you have to add liquid bacteria back into the tank unless you have a lot of media BB is grown on

How much water did you take out you should never have to go over 30% weekly learned this the other day as well, 50% can be to much.

Reason why you should of put media in a bucket of tank water is because it's going to be the same temp the tank was running at, temperature change/shock will kill beneficial bacteria that's on your media (aquarium adventure) told me this
I would get some liquid bacteria and dose the tank and do only water changes don't touch the gravel until you start getting your parameters back in order.

Never ever ever rinse media off in anything but tank water not even treated water, the only thing you clean with regular water is the plastic casing, and you don't thoroughly clean the media just dip it in the siphoned water from the tank, swish lightly to get big debris off and put it back in.

I just ordered Seachem Stability and it should be here Monday.

This is very informative. I had no idea you had to shake the 2nd bottle so vigorously in order to get an accurate reading. Been doing it wrong since I been testing my water at home for about the last year or so. Does this apply to the other bottles or just the nitrate one? Also what is an acceptable level of nitrate? As have just done a text having given the 2nd bottle a jolly good shaking and have a reading of somewhere between 20ppm and 80ppm it's far to tricky to differentiate between the two shades of red.

Just nitrate bottle 2 is the only one you have to shake like that because it has crystals that settle in the bottom so you have to practically shake your arm off to mix them back up.

Just nitrate bottle 2 is the only one you have to shake like that because it has crystals that settle in the bottom so you have to practically shake your arm off to mix them back up.

Ok cool. Thanks. What kind of level is expected ? Of nitrate that is

I have a physical disability so i don't have really good strength or grip so I can only shake it as best I can.

Mines 35-40 because I dose my tank with nutrients for my plants but 10-50 is fine, some say below 20 but every single place I have called... I mean the best places in the United States have all told me nitrates aren't to worry about but there are some fish that don't do well with it like discus,rays and some others but it's best to keep it below I would say 20-40, 5-20 is perfect

Mines 35-40 because I dose my tank with nutrients for my plants but 10-50 is fine, some say below 20 but every single place I have called... I mean the best places in the United States have all told me nitrates aren't to worry about but there are some fish that don't do well with it like discus,rays and some others but it's best to keep it below I would say 20-40, 5-20 is perfect

Ok nice one. Cheers for your help.

Back
Top Bottom