Tankmates to Add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mxg5299

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 36 gallon with a rainbow shark (about 3 yrs old and still just 3-4 in), 5 glolight tetras, 3 Denison barb, and 2 julii cories. I still have some space, and the only real activity is with the Denison and I'd like some more action so to speak. Any recommendations?

Id bump the barbs up 2, the glolights up 1, and the julis up 2. The decreased activity is probably due to having schooling/shoaling fish in small groups. I personally think you have a great group of species in there and adding lots of different species in a community tank (with the exception of cichlids) makes the tank look spazzy.
Thats just me though.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Hi mxg,
That size tank is too small for Denison barbs and a rainbow shark.
Your Juliis are most likely trilineatus. Pet stores always mislabel them. Cories are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of six or more of the same species.
If I were you, I would consider removing the rainbow shark and denisons and look at adding fish who are more suitable to that size aquarium. An angelfish would be cool, they are very active with interesting personalities. There are a few other small SA/ca cichlids you could potentially put in there as well, like rams.
I keep Odessa barbs and love them, they're on the smaller side and in appropriate groups they have a ton of personality and they're awesome to watch.
Good luck!

I agree with Eggheadfish. Dension barbs need a tank of at least 55 with a ton of swimming space. Also they are schooling so you want at least like 5. I also agree with Eggheadfish said. Angels are awesome. I would get 1 or 3+.

Trust me, the rainbow shark is perfectly sized for my tank. I've had it for years and it hasn't even gone over 4 in. where you guys are thinking of the potential size of 6-8 in. There are possibilities of dwarfs or runts but I don't know, he's perfectly happy in his cave and hasn't grown in a few years. I've been under the impression that angelfish get huge and aggressive and would demolish my tetras. I think I'm looking for something a bit smaller.

I'll keep an eye on the Denison barb but I'd prefer to add to what I have now and subtract later if they outgrow the tank. There aren't many places around that will take previosly owned fish.

Based on your current stocking (and assuming you have at least 50g capacity filtration) you're at a max bioload as is, so the best bet would be to rethink the stock altogether if you want to make changes.
Aqadvisor is a good starting point to see were you are with your tank.
Often fish don't grow to full potential when they don't have adequate space to do so, which may be why your rainbow shark is on the smaller side. I'm not sure what their growth rate is but they live around 5-8 years in captivity so I would think that at three years they should be close to if not at adult size 6".
I'm not trying to be critical and I realize you want to add stock to the tank but as it stands there really isn't sufficient room to do that unless you have additional filtration capacity or plan on extra water changes. Even in that case it would still be best to find a larger home for the shark and Denison barbs. If your LFS won't take them maybe craigslist or a local fish club?
If you bump the numbers of tetras and cories they will be much more active, when kept in smaller groups shoaling fish tend to be shy and kind of hide out.
Good luck!

Trust me, the rainbow shark is perfectly sized for my tank. I've had it for years and it hasn't even gone over 4 in. where you guys are thinking of the potential size of 6-8 in. There are possibilities of dwarfs or runts but I don't know, he's perfectly happy in his cave and hasn't grown in a few years.

That would likely be stunting from too high nitrates and too small of a tank. My rainbow was purchased at 1" and in two years is now pushing 6", that's healthy growth in a 60 gallon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I looked up "fish clubs" and other suppliers, really nothing in reasonable distance. All I have is Petsmart and Petco, and I've already tried to give them large fish to no prevail. If it isn't POSSIBLE for relocation, is my tank essentially doomed to be inactive and empty looking?

I also have filtration for about 60 gallon capacity so that's not a problem, water quality is fine and it is very easy to do water changes.

Brookster123 is from Mass too, ask him? I know it's not exactly a small state but I know it's got some aquarium clubs. And petco takes back fish- I've seen "adoption" fish there before.

I also have filtration for about 60 gallon capacity so that's not a problem, water quality is fine and it is very easy to do water changes.

Filtration doesnt equal good water...

These guys know a lot more than you and me... Its annoying i know. If you read my threads i can be a bit pissy about it sometimes but i do think they know what they're saying...

And the shark should've grown past what its at now. Only explanation besides water quality is bad genetics.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

[ QUOTE=sinibotia;3325942]Brookster123 is from Mass too, ask him? I know it's not exactly a small state but I know it's got some aquarium clubs. And petco takes back fish- I've seen "adoption" fish there before.[/QUOTE]

Sini only some petcos do that...primarily hub stores...and even the ones that do will refuse some fish depending on what they are, the condition they're in, and the space they have sometimes. My local petco does do it but they wouldn't take this guys tiger barbs so he was running all over the store yelling "free fish"

If you're on Facebook there are lots of groups local and nationwide I see people selling fish all the time...local pet rehoming ones too.

My Petco took a medium-sized arowana so I assumed they took everything, I've never been to a Petco that didn't take stuff but I guess I was wrong :eek:

I have no intention to give away the rainbow shark under any circumstances. My water quality is carefully monitered, treated, and changed. I've had this shark for 4+ years and it has thrived through all setups and tankmates. It has a cave that it chills in but is out and about almost all day. It eats well, it is a perfect specimen of health, and again, hasn't grown at all in years and shows no signs of odd behavior or health. The barbs, I'll consider, but otherwise, I'll only add to what I have or keep it as is.

Back
Top Bottom