Tap water has 4.0 ammonia!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been getting constant readings of 2.0 ammonia and no matter how many or how large the water changes I do they stay the same. I use an API water conditioner and I've been using Kordon Amquel Ammonia Detoxifier. Still doesn't change. I've read that it could be ammonia turning into ammonium which the test kit can't detect. My tank is cycled and I can't get Prime b/c they don't have it at my lfs. I can't get an RO unit or buy RO water b/c the store is too far away and I don't have a car. All the Fish are acting fine. They are active, they eat well, they are colorful. I have plants and driftwood. They are all well filtered to. My tanks aren't overstocked, I don't overfeed. What can I do?

If youre getting 2.0 readings of ammonia constantly then your tank isnt cycled. Even with the tap having ammonia in it, the ammonia wod be cycled through with the bacteria.

What test kit are you using?
Whats your ph?
You can buy prime from amazon for really cheap.

In any case, with a 4.0 ammonia you have a few options.

1 - change no more than 10% of your water but do it frequently.
2 - cut the water with water from a grocery store. It can be be bought by the gallon in refillable containers.
3 - run a filter on a new garbage can and use that water for changes. The filter will process the ammonia into nitrates making the water safe. A simple air pump and sponge filter will work.
4 - buy a ro filter. These will cost probably $50 or more but they will work well.

4.0 from the tap? Isn't that way outside allowable levels?

And if it's 4 from the tap how is it always 2 in the tank?

Can you explain more about the History of your tank and so on?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

How do you know your tank is cycled - can you tell us more about your process?

You only mention the tap in the title, did you test the tap water independently?

I tested it without any additives, just pure tap water. My tank has cycled showing 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and around 5 nitrates. I recently had an ich outbreak in my tanks and I lost nearly half my fish. I treated them with aquarium salt. I haven't added any new fish yet. I am taking it slow. That's when I noticed ammonia present in my tank.

Im confused.. did you test the water by turning on your sink and putting the test tubes under the faucet... or are you testing the ammonia in the tank...

Because if you have Ammonia in your tap water.. lol you are slowely killing yourself. And city water is suppose to have no ammonia in it and no nitrates. Well water you should have a filter system in the house

Back
Top Bottom