TarHeel's First Journal - 29G Planted Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarheel92

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey y'all! Thanks again to everyone who has been helpful in my researching for this first tank (either through directly answering questions on my threads or for all of the great resources that have been already provided...the search function is magical). I painted the back of my tank black today, but there won't be much more progress on this for 2 weeks or so probably (I'm about to go on vacation for a week and then need to start ordering things), but I'm putting off a paper for one of my classes so why not get a little proactive on the journey.

Tank: 29G
Light: Finnex FugeRay - 30"
Substrate: Black Diamond
Filtration: Aquaclear 70 and Active Sponge Filter
Heater: EHEIM Jager - 125 Watt
Plant Stock:
- Java Fern
- Java Moss
- Amazon Sword
- Tiger Lotus
- Anubia
Fish Stock:
- 5x Panda Cory
- 3x Oto
- 2x GBR (will be added down the line once the tank is mature)
- 9x Bloodfin Tetra
- 9x Neon Tetra
- 1x Dwarf Gourami

The plant and fish stocks are not set in stone, so if you have any suggestions to improve those I'd love to hear them. Can't wait to have y'all along for this journey!

The tank (the hood will be replaced by a versa-top and the fugeray):

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 144
I like the tank, light, and stock planned out. I like build threads! BTW, last time i tried GBR's with a Dwarf Gourami it wasn't a good idea. The DG wouldn't stop bullying the GBR's. I'd skip on the DG.

Yeah, researching I've seen really mixed experiences with GBR and DG together, it seems to really just depend on the temperament of the DG. Since the GBR will be getting added a few months after everything else, I may just see if my LFS would be willing to take back the DG if it starts causing problems with the rams, because I'd love to have them together.

If you're not attached to dwarf gouramis, I highly doubt that a honey gourami would cause the same problem. Might be able to get away with a sparkling gourami as well.

I definitely like the color of the DG. Would something like a bosemani rainbow have a better chance of not bothering the rams?

Well I went to go check out another LFS today, and although I told myself I was just looking, I ended up coming home with a beautiful piece of Malaysian dw for the tank.

Also picked up a bag of black diamond to get everything filled and up and running when I get back from vacation.

image-2584633278.jpg

Don't forget to boil the DW, unless you want tea colored tank water?
Does boiling it just speed up the process? I was planning on just soaking it in a large tub until the water ran clear, but I might try the boiling it half at a time technique if it's worthwhile. It will definitely get a good rinse and scrub regardless.

I second the Honey Gourami. They really seem to be much more mellow than DG. I have 2 DG in a heavily planted 220g and the 1 DG especially will even go after the big angelfish. They don't mess with the GBR's since they tend to stay in the bottom heavy growth. The Sunset Honey Gourami never bothers anyone.

I second the Honey Gourami. They really seem to be much more mellow than DG. I have 2 DG in a heavily planted 220g and the 1 DG especially will even go after the big angelfish. They don't mess with the GBR's since they tend to stay in the bottom heavy growth. The Sunset Honey Gourami never bothers anyone.
Do you have photos of your sunset honey gourami?

What color do the honey gouramis get? I think I've only ever seen photos of juveniles who haven't filled out their color which was why I was never much of a fan.

So perks of going home for vacation - I found a stash of beach rocks I brought back from England like 6 years ago. Just did the vinegar test this morning and no bubbles! They'll get boiled when I get back and added to the tank!

image-2827246649.jpg

image-18042943.jpg

image-1584880739.jpg

Honey gourami's come in Regular color which is the least colorful IMO, then Sunset and Golden Sunset which IMO is the best looking color. I've seen some really nice colored Sunsets. Check around for photos and you'll be surprized at the color on some.

So in addition to the aquaclear 70 for the 29G, I'm getting a 20 for my 10G QT tank - am I better off just keeping an extra piece of foam in the 70 to swap into the 20 and get the tank cycled that way, or just always keep the 20 running on the DT and then just move it to the QT when needed?

Last edited:
Well placing orders for everything for the tank this week so it will hopefully be there when I get home on Sunday, but I built a little DIY cave that will change some to fit with the DW in my tank, but what do y'all think?

image-3477675600.jpg

My fluval 306 showed up today!

image-3536453011.jpg

Plants have also been ordered, and the tank will get filled and started to be cycled on Monday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom