Teen aquarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom hates my tank. And is always like I never wanted you to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My mom doesn't hate my tank but she just doesn't want me to get anymore. She said, "you're going to college soon and then what do we do?" I always respond with, "? Care for them?"
If they would let me get more my room would be covered in breeding tanks, and specie tanks and all that, but noOoo.
I've recently been trying to get them to put a massive Malawi Cichlid tank in the living room in place of a very ugly book shelf. I think I may win them over if I keep saying how good the stand will go with our wood type and house decor. My moms the main factor here so I've been showing her the variety, color, and personality of those cichlids.
Anyone got any selling points that could win them over?

My mom let me have my tanks anywhere outside of my room.

My mom doesn't hate my tank but she just doesn't want me to get anymore. She said, "you're going to college soon and then what do we do?" I always respond with, "? Care for them?"
If they would let me get more my room would be covered in breeding tanks, and specie tanks and all that, but noOoo.
I've recently been trying to get them to put a massive Malawi Cichlid tank in the living room in place of a very ugly book shelf. I think I may win them over if I keep saying how good the stand will go with our wood type and house decor. My moms the main factor here so I've been showing her the variety, color, and personality of those cichlids.
Anyone got any selling points that could win them over?

Thats hilarious cause I'm only 14 and when ever I ask for a 75 gallon tank for discus its always the university card for me too! My room has two tanks and no room for more but I think there's lots of room downstairs!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Lol my room's in the basement, and it's the biggest room in the house. I could fit easily a few 90 gallon tanks. My parents won't let me have more that my one 27 gallon tank :(. I'm trying to convince them to let me get another similar tank, because I want to get a figure 8 lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey everybody,
I'm Matt 17 from Australia.
Is it just me or do you feel like the only kid in the neighbourhood who has an interest in fish and aquariums.

I am allowed two tanks. A 25 gallon community. That's fully planted. And then a livebearers 10gal which is my brothers but I do all the maintenance.
About to set up a 5 gal Betta planted though seeing as I'm getting a job at the lfs soon. Cheapest way to fund a hobby is work where you spend the most money. ;) hahaha
Don't have school to worry about since I've dropped out but yeah job life for me.

Same, I wish I new someone in my area that I could talk to and trade with.

Same, I wish I new someone in my area that I could talk to and trade with.

Do you get weird looks when you go to the store and the young workers in their twenties who hate their job but do it for the money look at you like you're retarded or something for knowing more about their stock then what you do. Use to happen to me all the time.

Do you get weird looks when you go to the store and the young workers in their twenties who hate their job but do it for the money look at you like you're retarded or something for knowing more about their stock then what you do. Use to happen to me all the time.

Happens to me a lot at petco...

I ask them questions that I know the answer too just to see it they know what they're talking about. I tell them things too like they should have all them gouramis in assorted tank like that when there is a big three spot fella in there or you shouldn't have rams, apistos and kribs in a display tank either. But they don't listen.

Ive gotten a marine biologist once. But other than that they are usually clue less. The private owned fish store near me is pretty good. I get looks at petco tho.

Ive gotten a marine biologist once. But other than that they are usually clue less. The private owned fish store near me is pretty good. I get looks at petco tho.

Oooo good job on getting the biologist. I've learnt to befriend a few workers at different stores. I'm at a different store each week mostly checking out plants and comparing fert prices. Now that I'm working for one. I'm hoping to get some good deals. Haha

I'm going to try to get a job at one when I turn 16. I trade sometimes so they probably remember me.

Yeah hopefully you'll be in luck. Mine will only take uncommon trades. So no guppies, common species of tetras. But I give them platy fry and cherry barb fry. I think they use it as feeders but oh well

My store gives me 1$ for red rili shrimp and sells it for 9$. They give me 4$ a head for my duncan and sell it for 10$ a head. It's just how it goes sometimes.

Oh, no matter what my store will give me half. I traded in 3 hatchet fish that I bought for $3 at petsmart. They were selling there's for $6 so I got back what I spent at $3 a fish.

Back
Top Bottom