Tetracycline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
Heard mixed reviews but will tetracycline kill my filter? I would really like to keep my betta in his tank set up because he does not do well in the qt tank. He stresses beyond belief. Would it be possible to do a full treatment of tetracycline without any loss of bacteria? Should I use maracyn instead? Thanks!

Jadedrain_06 said:
Heard mixed reviews but will tetracycline kill my filter? I would really like to keep my betta in his tank set up because he does not do well in the qt tank. He stresses beyond belief. Would it be possible to do a full treatment of tetracycline without any loss of bacteria? Should I use maracyn instead? Thanks!

I recently treat my QT tank with Maracyn, it contains erythromycin. I followed the directions of the box, step by step. After the treatment was completed, the fish were cure, but the tank started to build ammonia and nitrites fast. In other words, Maracyn was really harsh with my biofilter ( bacteria ). Just my experience.

Antibiotics do not discriminate between 'good' & 'bad' bacteria. Anytime you use them, you are at risk of harming your biologic filter. If you decide to use them, just be viligant on your water tests & changes if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom