The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did u turn ur filters off when u did a pwc? most of ur bacteria ur growing grows on ur filter, so if the tap water did get into ur filter it may have killed all ur bacteria because of the chlorine in ur tap water..meaning u may have to start back to square one. But if the water wasnt in ur filter ur good im betting. Also it depends how how long after u put the water in ur tank to u noticing it.

Hi, Thanks for reply,

Yeah i turned off filter when changing water and dont think water would have went into my filter as the holes for water to get in are quite high, but not 100% sure. I put tap water into tank and then about 1-2 minutes later, put dechlorinator in.

If i had to start from square one? Can i just leave the water thats in there now?

Also, if the tap water didnt affect the bacteria, it means now 3 weeks without any nitrIte showing?

Many thanks,

I think you'd have probably had a bit of damage to the bacteria, but I wouldn't say it caused too much of a die off. Pigeonfood has a good point about keeping the filter off, but I'd assume you turned it back on after you refilled it. I wouldn't worry about it too much, we'll see in the next couple days if it did any damage, if at all.

I think most people make a boo-boo at some point (I did), and everything works out fine.

I get people mixed up, sorry, but we made sure you were using the correct ammonia right? I also think we talked about borrowing some media from your cycling 5 gallon. I know some people recommended against it, but unless you've got fish on the way that need to be in the 5 gallon ASAP, I'd personally borrow some from it. If the cycle in the 5 gallon completes and you take media then...it'll be the same impact as taking it now. You're just taking the same # of bacterium regardless.

Hi Eco,

Yep, the ammonia is deff correct as 5G tank is about 90% cycled, nearly finished. When you say borrow the media, the filter only has 1 small sponge. Do i take the whole sponge and put into my 30G filter?

Thanks,

Kawaipoon said:
Hi Eco,

Yep, the ammonia is deff correct as 5G tank is about 90% cycled, nearly finished. When you say borrow the media, the filter only has 1 small sponge. Do i take the whole sponge and put into my 30G filter?

Thanks,

Nooooo! I'd say to take a pair of scissors and cut about 10% off it to jam in right in front of the media that's in the bigger tank. That way you're introducing some of the established bacteria into the other tanks filter and it can colonize into the other piece of media.

And like I said before, don't worry at all about forgetting the dechlorinator. it'd be one thing if you had it running for days, but since you realized it quickly it won't do any harm.

Nooooo! I'd say to take a pair of scissors and cut about 10% off it to jam in right in front of the media that's in the bigger tank. That way you're introducing some of the established bacteria into the other tanks filter and it can colonize into the other piece of media.

And like I said before, don't worry at all about forgetting the dechlorinator. it'd be one thing if you had it running for days, but since you realized it quickly it won't do any harm.

luckily i asked, otherwise another stupid error. I will do just that in a mo. Does this affect the 5G tank at all?? so im prepared and dont have to keep posting for help 24/7.

Also does it seem weird that its 3 weeks with 0 nitrIte showing?

Appreciate all this help :)

If you were to wait until the small tank finished cycling before borrowing media, it's just going to throw it into a mini cycle anyway, this way you can get both tanks cycled without having to hurt the 5 gallon once it completes.

It will somewhat slow the progress of the 5 gallon a small amount, but it's definitely what I'd do.

It is weird, but some cycles just have a mind of their own, or there are variables some people miss things like the temp, bubble wands, etc... I've got people that finish a full cycle in 20 days without seeding material, and others that can't seem to get things moving. Stubborn bacteria I guess, lol.

Ok, I will go and cut 10% of the filter media and stick it in 30G now. I may come back and ask more questions if get stuck/worried again, if thats ok?

Many thanks (and pigeonfood) :)

Kawaipoon said:
Ok, I will go and cut 10% of the filter media and stick it in 30G now. I may come back and ask more questions if get stuck/worried again, if thats ok?

Many thanks (and pigeonfood) :)

Sure. I'll be here. I'm about to acclimate my new shrimp I just got from severum mama. Happy to help.

cichlidpaul said:
Hi bro i have a question for you
when would you call it a day ( how long would you leave it ) if the tank wont cycle

As long as you're not missing anything basic, like the right ammo, good test kit, dechlorinated water, oxygen, etc... The tank will cycle. I've never heard of a tank that simply wouldn't cycle...it can just take a long time in certain cases.

Think about it this way...if you emptied all the water and tries to do a fish in cycle instead, think how long it would take and how many daily pwc's you'd have to do to keep the fish from dying of toxic water.

Is that in my case mate lol i wouldnt do a fish cycle mate just thinking about stripping the tank and filter and starting again

cichlidpaul said:
You know i carnt help thinking that them white flakes ( remember ) have something to do with why its taking so long

Is your test kit new? Since the first day we talked, I thought something was screwy. I remember you had nitrAtes going up and down and that made absolutely 0 sense whatsoever. Check for an expiration date and triple check you're shaking the tube long enough, etc...

You might kill yourself if you're cycle has been done for a month and a half and the kit was wrong. I don't know what those white flakes were, but I can't imagine them causing this. By the way...I guess you Brits would say your cycle has gone all "sixes and sevens". What in the world does that mean? What does it refer to? Lol.

Is your test kit new? Since the first day we talked, I thought something was screwy. I remember you had nitrAtes going up and down and that made absolutely 0 sense whatsoever. Check for an expiration date and triple check you're shaking the tube long enough, etc...

You might kill yourself if you're cycle has been done for a month and a half and the kit was wrong. I don't know what those white flakes were, but I can't imagine them causing this. By the way...I guess you Brits would say your cycle has gone all "sixes and sevens". What in the world does that mean? What does it refer to? Lol.

Yep its new and in date doing the test as it says in the booklet

lol as for "sixes and sevens" like you know im a Brit and to be honest i have no bloody clue what it really means apart from MESSED UP or where it came from so yes i guess you could say my tank is more sixty six and seventy sevens more like

cichlidpaul said:
Hey mate take a look at this im thinking about getting one for my tank

Pressurised Pond Filter with Built-in 11 UV 10,000 Litres CPF-10000 - All Pond Solutions

check out the L/H

Dude, that's for a pond, lol. I'm waiting for my new Fluval 405 to arrive any minute. It's on the Fedex truck right now and they should be ringing the door bell soon.

If I like the Fluval I'd be happy to recommend it, I've only heard good things so far about it. Don't you have some sort of fancy filter now with UV and all that stuff?

If you've got a good filter, you should look at upgrading the light system. I bought a Zoo-Med hood light with duel T-5 bulbs, one is actinic (blue/violet) and an "ultra sun" (bright white). They look awesome together, but at night I turn off the white one and it glows like moonlight, thats what avatar picture is.

Dude, that's for a pond, lol. I'm waiting for my new Fluval 405 to arrive any minute. It's on the Fedex truck right now and they should be ringing the door bell soon.

If I like the Fluval I'd be happy to recommend it, I've only heard good things so far about it. Don't you have some sort of fancy filter now with UV and all that stuff?

If you've got a good filter, you should look at upgrading the light system. I bought a Zoo-Med hood light with duel T-5 bulbs, one is actinic (blue/violet) and an "ultra sun" (bright white). They look awesome together, but at night I turn off the white one and it glows like moonlight, thats what avatar picture is.

do they make that light system for a 36g to brah lol??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom