The Beginning of the End?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCtank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm worried my newish tank is starting to crash. PLEASE ADVISE!

My tank is 8 weeks old. Did "fish in" cycle (with 3 platies) and a big bag of bacteria from a massive tank filter at LFS. Numbers were great after one week so I added 3 zebras. Probably too early but all went well.

With the help of the bacteria bag, and based on water tests (confirmed by two LFS) tank seemed cycled at 5 weeks.

After that, on a weekly basis, I added a few more fish at a time, checking water and doing 10-15% water changes weekly. All the fish seemed great except 1 gold twinbar platy that seemed weak since I got him. (He had a broken dorsal fin and some sort of spot or mass inside his body.) To my surprise, he lasted 3 weeks. He died this morning.

Last week, I found a dead swordtail and a dead zebra on the same day. If it had just been the swordtail I would have chalked it up to a sad accident; he had just been added to the tank 3 days earlier. But finding the 2 month old zebra at the same time puts that theory into question.

To recap: three dead fish in a one week span.

Remaining fish and time in tank:
3 sunset fire platies - 8 wks
4 zebra danios - 7 wks
1 gold twinbar platy - 3 wks
3 pygmy cory cats
2 oto cats - 1 wk (purchased with cories; too much at once?)
3 lamp eye tetras - 1 day
and...
4 tiny sunset fire platy fry - discovered 4 wks ago

Everyone looks healthy but, given the other deaths, I've learned looks can be deceiving.

29 gallon freshwater
plastic plants
penguin 200 filter
weekly 10-15% pwc
NH3 = 0 - .1 (depending on pre- or post-wc)
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 30 or 35 (hard to tell; doesn't match card)
PH = 7.4

Anything else I should be checking? Is this the beginning of the end?

Personally I think you are a little overstocked. I wouldn't add anymore fish. You stocked it pretty fast and that will stress your fish and your biological filter. You numbers seem fine nitrates a bit high. I would do bigger water changes more frequently. And keep testing your water. Don't change your filter media.

Do any of the fish look diseased?

Everyone looks and acts healthy (the dead ones did, too, before their unexpected deaths) except for the one gold twinbar. He never seemed "right" since I got him.

As for another posters comment about stocking quickly, I didn't think so but when I considered my list as I was typing my original post, it did seem faster than I thought as I was doing it.

No new fish for now. I want to see if I have any more unexpected deaths. Today I did a 30% pwc. I'll test water in the morning to see if nitrates went down. If not, I'll do another.

Aargh. Another dead fish today. A zebra. My numbers are all fine. Anybody have an idea what could be happening in my tank? Nobody looks sick at all. The ONLY thing I noticed -- and only today, not previously -- is that two of the remaining zebras swim through the descending food but they don't seem to eat it. Help.

Up the water changes to 50% per day and use activated carbon in your filter. Something is in that water. Dumb question, but you are using dechlorinator with each water change, right? Check with your municipality to see if they've issued any kind of boil water notice in or around your neighborhood.

David

Don't need dechlorinator... I'm using bottled spring water (my tap water is loaded with chloramines). Lost another fish this morning. Should I put in some sort of medicine...a general antibiotic? Either way, I'll get more water and so another pwc tomorrow.

Hi DCtank,

I would not use spring water for your aquarium. In my experience, spring water is too unstable. The pH and KH varies from gallon to gallon. If you insist on using it, still add dechlorinator. It won't hurt.

David

DCtank said:
Don't need dechlorinator... I'm using bottled spring water (my tap water is loaded with chloramines). Lost another fish this morning. Should I put in some sort of medicine...a general antibiotic? Either way, I'll get more water and so another pwc tomorrow.

I would also advise against the bottled water. And I wouldn't medicate until its absolutely necessary.

Back
Top Bottom