The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bruinsbro1997 said:
As in the bulb is pink or the water looks pink from the bulb? I really don't like pink water, is ultra sun a better option and will it still provide some good light for plants?

Both. It is so far great for plants. I have Eco complete substrate and CO2 with this fixture on my 40g b and some of my plants are steadying to pearl after about 2 weeks

Aw, I don't really want pink water, I will go with Ultra-Sun instead. Besides if it mimmicks sunlight it shouldn't be bad plants like sun right?
How do you do CO2? I have never tried it before because it is SO expensive!

I have a 40 gallon tank with 3 angels and 2 bolivian rams (and others) and everybody gets along fine. IME, the rams stay at the bottom and don't care about the angels. The angels stay in the middle and don't care about the rams. 2 of my angels are a breeding pair and they get territorial when eggs are laid, but the aggression isn't a problem when all the other fish have places to hide. Even the third angel fairs just fine.

I wish I had gone with the two 10000k sunlight bulbs.
I picking up a diffuser kit at my local petco, and after coupons it was $20. It's basically a DIY kit that is better than a coke bottle and has a ladder bubble diffuser. Not a bad deal IMO, and you don't have to get their refills, just use your own sugar/yeast

absolutangel04 said:
I have a 40 gallon tank with 3 angels and 2 bolivian rams (and others) and everybody gets along fine. IME, the rams stay at the bottom and don't care about the angels. The angels stay in the middle and don't care about the rams. 2 of my angels are a breeding pair and they get territorial when eggs are laid, but the aggression isn't a problem when all the other fish have places to hide. Even the third angel fairs just fine.

Really? Well if it has worked for you I don't see why not to try it, it can be rehomed anyways if it doesn't work.

HalfMoon B said:
I wish I had gone with the two 10000k sunlight bulbs.
I picking up a diffuser kit at my local petco, and after coupons it was $20. It's basically a DIY kit that is better than a coke bottle and has a ladder bubble diffuser. Not a bad deal IMO, and you don't have to get their refills, just use your own sugar/yeast

Haha yeah. Could you make a DIY co2 thing? I don't know what it does exactly is it necessary?

Ah ok. Do you need to buy a diffusor? Also what do you think of this stock:
Two angels, hopefully a pair
Four golden killies
One GBR
School of undecided tetras
Eight emerald cories
One honey DG

Is there a possible room for a small school of small rainbows or am I stocked to maximum capacity?

Just a comment on the plants... while it may sound ok, and probably look ok too, IMO its just too many. When I started my first planted tank, I wanted to cram every plant imaginable in there. Slowly, I've come to realize that less is more. Pick 4-5 plants and keep it there. It may take you a while to figure out what you want, so just try some out for a month or two and see how you like it. If you would like, there's a link in my signature for my 40 breeder build. Start to finish (well, I say finish because I let the thread die off after moving)... It went from heavily planted to simplistic... and I really liked it best at the end. Again, this is all my opinion. It's your tank, so do what you like. Just offering my $0.02 on how mine went.

Ah ok, I know I just like lots of plants! I think I'll start off with what is available on the lost at the LFS and go from there. Will check out the thread when I get on the computer, unfortunately the app doesn't show a sig. :(
In your opinion(s) do you think duckweed grows too fast and is invasive go be kept in an aquarium???

You would not beleive how fast duckweed can grow. I net it out all the time and can barely keep ahead of it. Avoid it if you can.

Alright, can you think of another floating plant? I have always wanted to try floating plants. They seem cool to me, not having to be rooted.

I looked it up on Google and some of the pages say it grows very slow and needs lots of light. Is this your guys experience or how did it go with you for red root floater?

I am pretty sure it is a two bulb fixture. And yes it will be good for plants. Right now in my duel T5HO fixture I have the Flora sun bulbs, and the plants seem to like them. The only thing that I will tell you is the bulbs are very pink/red (more than I like). The next time I change my lights I will probably get the ultra sun (I think that is what it is called) they are 6500k instead of 5000k.

I have the utlra sun which kind of has a blueish tint to it and the Flora sun which has a red tint to it. Put both of them togther it makes my tank look more natural lighting compared to my old light.

Ah ok, so one flora sun and one ultra sun? I really want a more natural look that is more pleasing to the eye, even if I'm the only one who cares about it being in the house.

You don't have to get their bulbs. You can get any brand you want. A 6500k and 10,000k bulb would be great to keep it pleasing, yet good for the plants. I really like my giessemans (i probably spelled that wrong).

Ah ok, so one flora sun and one ultra sun? I really want a more natural look that is more pleasing to the eye, even if I'm the only one who cares about it being in the house.

mfd is right, you dont have to get there bulbs. I just picked up their bulbs cos I was in urgent need of a light. But for the price, i think they were 14 bucks a piece with 5500k and 6500 k spectrum, dont quote me on which is which lol

Oh ok, thought you had to get the specific bulb for the specific fixture. I looked up giessman's online, they are all rated five stars so I will be on the lookout for those. Also for the light they output they seem fairly cheap, thank you for letting me know!

So in the meantime, I am seeding as much media as I can (probably about eight sponges for two Aquaclear and one Aquaeon filters) and was thinking about doing a fish-in cycle with one honey DG. I am seeding two in the filter and two on tank gravel. The other two are waiting to be seeded with another filter for another month. Do you think that will be enough bacteria to cycle with a honey gourami in a month or less?

This is the current stocking plan:
-one honey dwarf gourami
-two angels, hopefully a pair
-one GBR
-school of tetras
-four killifish
-eight emerald cories
-???possibly a school of small rainbows???

What do you guys think of my plans so far? Too risky or just fine?

Oh ok, thought you had to get the specific bulb for the specific fixture. I looked up giessman's online, they are all rated five stars so I will be on the lookout for those. Also for the light they output they seem fairly cheap, thank you for letting me know!

So in the meantime, I am seeding as much media as I can (probably about eight sponges for two Aquaclear and one Aquaeon filters) and was thinking about doing a fish-in cycle with one honey DG. I am seeding two in the filter and two on tank gravel. The other two are waiting to be seeded with another filter for another month. Do you think that will be enough bacteria to cycle with a honey gourami in a month or less?

This is the current stocking plan:
-one honey dwarf gourami
-two angels, hopefully a pair
-one GBR
-school of tetras
-four killifish
-eight emerald cories
-???possibly a school of small rainbows???

What do you guys think of my plans so far? Too risky or just fine?

If your doing a fish in cycle, do you know how to do this? I personally did a fishless cycle and I think it works out better. and tbh I think it wud take longer with a honey dg since it doesnt put out alot of ammo, when doin a fishless cycle ur puttin alot more ammo in that wud substitue having a ton of fish. I think its in humane to do a fish IN cycle, but thats just me. And with all that seeding material it wudnt take you long to do a fishless cycle and you wudnt have to sacrifice a fish in the process.

Back
Top Bottom