The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally like the more wild-type looking ones or the ones that have solid fins and big ones too. I really don't like veiltails, they seem to be victims of fin nips and most of the times I vist an LFS they are severly nipped and have torn fins. I like koi, marbled, chocolate, black and white, or silver blue angels. Does anyone know if Severum mama will have any next month? I didn't see any in her list in the Classified section. Also what is the best way to get angels to spawn/breed in a community? I don't have a spare tank I can use to breed them...

New Update!
So after going through my list I found plants I really wanted and cut down ones I didn't really like, just thought would fill the aquarium. Here's the list as of now:
As a Carpet Effect:
-java moss
-glossotigma
For the Foreground:
-the smaller species of hygro
-pygmy chain sword
For the Middle:
-water trumpet
-dwarf saggitaria
-Blyxa Japonica
For the Background:
-amazon sword
-Ludwiga respens
-rotala indica
-myrio
-water wisteria
Floating Plants:
-red rooter if i can find it

Does this list sound better?

I personally like the more wild-type looking ones or the ones that have solid fins and big ones too. I really don't like veiltails, they seem to be victims of fin nips and most of the times I vist an LFS they are severly nipped and have torn fins. I like koi, marbled, chocolate, black and white, or silver blue angels. Does anyone know if Severum mama will have any next month? I didn't see any in her list in the Classified section. Also what is the best way to get angels to spawn/breed in a community? I don't have a spare tank I can use to breed them...
I like the regular tails more as well. I thought I preferred the veiltales until I bought one. I love him, but I definitely prefer the others. ;) My pair lives in a community tank and they spawn without any intervention on my part. The parents ate the eggs from the first 2 spawns, but the third spawn turned to wigglers. But, the parents started to devour them once they started to wiggle. I saved a few in a breeding net. It is not as ideal as having an extra tank, but it works in a pinch. You have to be really careful in the breeding net though to not let mold grow and demolish your new stock. It happens really easily. You will not raise as many babies with a breeding net, but you can still raise some. Also, if you get a breeding net, make sure the mesh is fine enough so that the other fish cant slurp the eggs/fry out through the holes. I use a mesh lining from JoAnn fabric to keep the eggs off the floor of the breeding net and that has increased my survival rate.

Aww well at least you're getting some though:)

Haha very true. I was going to get the ones that had paired of already if no one had bought them yet. :)

I like the regular tails more as well. I thought I preferred the veiltales until I bought one. I love him, but I definitely prefer the others. ;) My pair lives in a community tank and they spawn without any intervention on my part. The parents ate the eggs from the first 2 spawns, but the third spawn turned to wigglers. But, the parents started to devour them once they started to wiggle. I saved a few in a breeding net. It is not as ideal as having an extra tank, but it works in a pinch. You have to be really careful in the breeding net though to not let mold grow and demolish your new stock. It happens really easily. You will not raise as many babies with a breeding net, but you can still raise some. Also, if you get a breeding net, make sure the mesh is fine enough so that the other fish cant slurp the eggs/fry out through the holes. I use a mesh lining from JoAnn fabric to keep the eggs off the floor of the breeding net and that has increased my survival rate.

Alright. Well I am not yet ready to house a whole bunch of angels if my pair decides to breed. So far as of now I am trying to find a store that sells smoky blue angels, no one has the strain. :( Besides I think all the other fish in there will finish off the fry before the parents can.

Update: here is a revised stocking list that is almost complete.
-school of eight threadfin rainbows
-two angels, hopefully a pair
-a pair of killifish from SM
-one honey gourami
-one GBR
-eight emerald cories
Is there possible room for a keyhole cichlid???

bruinsbro1997 said:
Ooh also does anyone know of any good plant-specific substrates? Also if you add ferts do you still need CO2 or no???

Ferts and co2 are too different things. The co2 provides carbon for the plants (plants NEED carbon to live and grow). Unless you are referring ro flourish exel or something like that.

fishfanatic said:
Ferts and co2 are too different things. The co2 provides carbon for the plants (plants NEED carbon to live and grow). Unless you are referring ro flourish exel or something like that.

Yep fort recommended flourish excel when I get my plants and lights. Should I do a DIY co2 or try a store bought diffusor???

bruinsbro1997 said:
Yep fort recommended flourish excel when I get my plants and lights. Should I do a DIY co2 or try a store bought diffusor???

I whet through the same thing for my 40 gallon tank. I decided to use pressurized co2, because it would take a tun of work to use DIY co2, you would have to have multiple bottles and you would have to change out the yeast and such quite often. And by store bought diffuser do you mean one of those little co2 kits, if so then don't buy one of those they are the same thing as a DIY bottle only more $$.
What light do you have? (You probably already posted it, but I have forgotten)

I am still undecided on a bulb, but about that fixture i plan to buy one from Petco (forgot the name probably in an older post). Yeah I meant one of those. I can't spend money on one of the high-tech setup co2 things, those are $$$$.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I am still undecided on a bulb, but about that fixture i plan to buy one from Petco (forgot the name probably in an older post). Yeah I meant one of those. I can't spend money on one of the high-tech setup co2 things, those are $$$$.

O that is right the aqua Med (or something like that) it is a duel T5HO if I am right?
You could put a co2 system together for less than $160 (if you want to)

fishfanatic said:
O that is right the aqua Med (or something like that) it is a duel T5HO if I am right?
You could put a co2 system together for less than $160 (if you want to)

Yep I think so. 160!!! I'm already spending 100 on the stand and 68 on the fish so spending another 160 on CO2 isn't really an option...

bruinsbro1997 said:
Yep I think so. 160!!! I'm already spending 100 on the stand and 68 on the fish so spending another 160 on CO2 isn't really an option...

You can always just use good old flourish exel ;). What are you planning on using for ferts? (if any)

fishfanatic said:
You can always just use good old flourish exel ;). What are you planning on using for ferts? (if any)

Flourish Excel or possibly SeaChem Prime that makes some good ferts. Why does flourish excel have co2? :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Flourish Excel or possibly SeaChem Prime that makes some good ferts. Why does flourish excel have co2? :)

Seachem prime is a water conditioner, not a fertilizer. And exel doesn't have co2 in it, it just acts as a source of carbon (the plants use the carbon out of the carbon dioxide (co2)) so really ether of them will work (exel or co2)

fishfanatic said:
Seachem prime is a water conditioner, not a fertilizer. And exel doesn't have co2 in it, it just acts as a source of carbon (the plants use the carbon out of the carbon dioxide (co2)) so really ether of them will work (exel or co2)

Well flourish excel for a big bottle is 25$ and the DIY co2 will cost me around 20$ per month with all the cleaning and mixing yeast and sugar. Which one do you think is more cost effective?

Back
Top Bottom