The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, so here's what I found:
-cardinal tetras
-rummynose tetras (yuck!)
-neon tetras
-black neon tetras
-glowlight tetras
-pristella tetras
-serpae tetras
-buenos aires tetras
-von rio tetras
-ember tetras
-penguin tetras
-emperor tetras
-kerri tetras
-congo tetras
-black skirt tetras
-black widow tetras
-a few other of the deeper bodied ones I can't remember

What could work, what couldn't work?

I would say no serpaes or black skirts becaues of the nippiness and no buenos airs because of their size and activity level.
Personally, I think a ton of embers would be AWESOME. I really like penguin and kerri tetras too. But, thats just personal preference.
I have heard a lot of people say von Rios tend to munch on live plants, but I have not kept them so I cannot say for sure.
Didn't you try black neons and Pristellas at some point but not like them? Or am I imagining that...
Lol, I think you should should scrap the whole stock list and have a tank full of nothing but rummies you have such good luck with them. ;)

Okay...I was actually planning embers for a nano tank I had in mind, so...yeah...:hide:

You are correct, and yes I did ditch those fish. No fish left behind policy from now on by the Bruins Beareau.

I am still thinking cardinals, but saw the kerri tetras and they looked real nice...but they only get them from time to time...

HA!

Maybe when the world is ending and I am that desperate for fish because all the stores will be closed down for the apacolypse, I will bury all my fish for their own good and live with rummies on my final days as an inhabitant of earth, suffering with them as we both die together. Them of being finicky, me of some unforseen celestial cause.

Okay...I was actually planning embers for a nano tank I had in mind, so...yeah...:hide:

You are correct, and yes I did ditch those fish. No fish left behind policy from now on by the Bruins Beareau.

I am still thinking cardinals, but saw the kerri tetras and they looked real nice...but they only get them from time to time...

HA!

Maybe when the world is ending and I am that desperate for fish because all the stores will be closed down for the apacolypse, I will bury all my fish for their own good and live with rummies on my final days as an inhabitant of earth, suffering with them as we both die together. Them of being finicky, me of some unforseen celestial cause.
Lol, I think you would outlast the rummies. :lol:

Yeah, embers do great in small tanks. I have some in my 10g and they are great. HOnestly, if I didn't have angels, I would love a group of like 20 embers in my 40g community too though because I like them so much. The kerris are very pretty and I think they would look really great with your rasboras and the future pearl gouramis. Either cards or kerris would match your gbr really well. :)

Okay, so here is what the FINAL stocking will look like (as a bro, you have my word):

X2 Pearl Gouramis
X10 Harlequin/Espei Rasboras
X1 GBR
X10 Cories
X3 Platies (chose against the endlers, decided to save those for the nano I plan as well ;))
X4 Otos (figured give it a shot, if not then X1 ABN female pleco)
X10 cardinals/kerri tetras, hmm...guess I'll have to think about this one.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Okay, so here is what the FINAL stocking will look like (as a bro, you have my word):

X2 Pearl Gouramis
X1 GBR
X10 Cories
X3 Platies (chose against the endlers, decided to save those for the nano I plan as well ;))
X4 Otos (figured give it a shot, if not then X1 ABN female pleco)
X10 cardinals/kerri tetras, hmm...guess I'll have to think about this one.

Im afraid to get too attatched to your stock list! Either way, i like it...well except for platys. I still think they are too common, but they are still cool:)

Okay, so I revised it a little bit:
X2 Pearl Gouramis
X1 GBR
X5 Endler's Livebearers, just let em do their thing, think they'd compliment the rasboras nicely
X4 Otos
X10 Bronze Cories
X8 Cardinal Tetras

I guess I decided against the kerris because
a) It seems very hard to ID them, because I guess LFS get them confused with emperor tetras all too often, and
b) The ones here are expensive, almost 5-6 dollars per fish.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Okay, so I revised it a little bit:
X2 Pearl Gouramis
X1 GBR
X5 Endler's Livebearers, just let em do their thing, think they'd compliment the rasboras nicely
X4 Otos
X10 Bronze Cories
X8 Cardinal Tetras

I guess I decided against the kerris because
a) It seems very hard to ID them, because I guess LFS get them confused with emperor tetras all too often, and
b) The ones here are expensive, almost 5-6 dollars per fish.

I like this idea alot better:)

The only thing that bugs me is the 8 cardinals and 10 rasboras....i like matching numbers lol

bruinsbro1997 said:
Instead of five endler's....

What about three swordtails? I'm kinda interested in those now instead...

Thatd be nice... But SM said they were a bit agressive

Hahahahahahahahaha

Dang...platies it is then. Unless I can find some real cool guppies at the store. Sorry, but when I saw the endler's I was a little put off...I think I wouldn't find them in such a big tank.

Any reason you're attached to live-bearers?

I have four platies in my tank: one mother and three kids from her pervious marriage, who are almost as big as she is now. The mother I got from a LFS, and she is to this day pretty stupid. The ones I raised are incredibly brave when it comes to me messing around in the tank, and since they were raised in my high-tech tank, they figured out at a young age that algae was a delicious snack. I almost want to get rid of them, but they eat a ton of thread, hair, and soft algae that I would hate to see them go.

Seriously though, my platies put my otos to shame.

Lol,

Her "perv"ious marriage.

I stay clear of guppies bruins. They sometimes carry camallanus.

Platys platys platys

Platys are awesome!

Any reason you're attached to live-bearers?

I have four platies in my tank: one mother and three kids from her pervious marriage, who are almost as big as she is now. The mother I got from a LFS, and she is to this day pretty stupid. The ones I raised are incredibly brave when it comes to me messing around in the tank, and since they were raised in my high-tech tank, they figured out at a young age that algae was a delicious snack. I almost want to get rid of them, but they eat a ton of thread, hair, and soft algae that I would hate to see them go.

Seriously though, my platies put my otos to shame.

I was kinda inspired after seeing severum mama's livebearers here. Now I really want them. I like the swordtails especially.

Lol,

Her "perv"ious marriage.

I stay clear of guppies bruins. They sometimes carry camallanus.

Platys platys platys

Platys are awesome!

Platies then.
I guess I'll be looking for natural type ones, like brown or white?

Alright folks, here are some photos of the fishies! Just the German Blue Ram and the Crowntail Blue Betta Female. Hope you enjoy! :)
img_1703155_0_a7adfa393ba14923e93b125c9bb01af1.jpg

img_1703155_1_2235b92f69d0940bd3d85aa0d4118a03.jpg

img_1703155_2_6870fa53c5b201e3a5c62c62014a80c2.jpg

img_1703155_3_a2d579395b6100ccc2b7d1dba228296c.jpg

img_1703155_4_edcf595e182b630c333d857fbb12077f.jpg

img_1703155_5_934344a4e4f74379d044c0f3bd17ab4c.jpg

bruinsbro1997 said:
Alright folks, here are some photos of the fishies! Just the German Blue Ram and the Crowntail Blue Betta Female. Hope you enjoy! :)

That ram has CRAZY colors!!!!

Back
Top Bottom