The happiest day of my reefing life (with pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I've been at this about 6 or 7 months now....I've been through the bad, the worse, and the really ugly (diseases, ich, etc.....those of you who've read some of my posts know). Anyway, about 2 or 3 weeks ago I got an anemone. A BTA...green...pretty. I really didn't expect my tank raised perc to ever host it in a million years...but I secretly hoped that it would. I've had this perc ever since I started my tank (it's the only one that's survived everything, so he has a special place for me)

So, here's a tank raised perc, never seen an anemone in his life...so it didn't surpise me that he didn't host it. So I've been feeding the BTA by hand, once a week, usually when I feed the tank so the other inhabitants don't swarm him. Well, I was gonna feed him yesterday, but he was all sriveled up, so I didn't. But today, he was nice and open, and although it's not a feeding day for my tank, I wanted to feed him.....so I tried, but he just wouldn't hang on to the emerald entree (has mysis and krill). But, as usual, the other tank mates swarmed, and so did the perc....

For the first 10 minutes, I couldn't believe my eyes...it was like the perc figured out how cool it is in there....and like he'd never done it before, but that it was natural.....an "instinct". I hoped it wasn't a temporary arrangement and I took a ton of pictures....SO HAPPY!

Needless to say, I was reluctant to post anything at first, but I just watched, waited, and snapped (pictures)..ha.

It's been several hours and it is the coolest thing I have ever experienced in saltwater! It just makes it all worth it!

Sorry to rant, but I just couldn't surpress my excitement, and I just had to share. Here's the pics, not great, but pics none the less.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/DrNate/100_0490.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/DrNate/100_0494.jpg

I almost feel like a proud papa! ha.....funny how this hobby can make you euphoric.

I had the same experience when my 3rd generation tank raised clowns too the anemone after about a week. I smirked when you said you "secretly want it to happen" -- I too had the same secret wishes so it was very satisfying seeing it occur.

I know just how you felt. My maroon was a sand stirring.... ahem... and then I got this HUGE gBTA (and I mean enormous) and my maroon fell in love. She's now ALWAYS in one of the anemones (I ended up with 4 of them!!). It is such a beautiful sight. I don't know why I feel that way but it just gives me such a warm fuzzy feeling. Way cool.

Congrats, proud papa!

Thanks for the comments, everyone, it is really satisfying to see, and you're right....it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.

Stradt03....I believe they do it because it's a symbiotic relationship...the clown benefits because he gets protection from other tank mates and a place to sleep that's comfortable. The anemone benefits because he gets fed by the anemone (or should!).

sorry, I meant the anemone gets fed brought to him by the clown (or should)!

My two true percs have switched back and forth between my 2 BTA anemones. i have since lost my green to unknown circumstances but they have switched back to my rose BTA. its awesome to see them catch a nap in it.

Back
Top Bottom