The loach's 29 gallon tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Threadfin rainbows are really cool and would do well in a 29, could do a small school of them

For a 29 gal, certainly.

Ok, awesome! Now I have something very interesting to say
I was desperate to put my fish in, so I went to my LFS for some advice, they said add this, and your ammonia and nitrites would disappear, then, add your fish tomorrow, I tested my water today, and I couldn't believe it, nothing, NOTHING! I went ahead and added a zebra danio that was in my 55 gallon, he is doing great!
Surprised, shocked?

Attachments

• image-2258289077.jpg
    image-2258289077.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 61
Here is my new stock
2 German blue rams
4 Cory catfish
5 neon tetras
5 zebra danios
2 bn plecos
One black mystery snail
Three ghost catfish

IDK, I m pretty new at all this but that seems like alot of bodies in a 29g. And what was your nitrate level?

What were your levels before the safe start?? The bottled bacteria are very hit or miss, I've had some small successes with a couple brands and some haven't. There's too many factors to say if one bottle is good and another isn't, they haves to be shipped and stored properly to have any effect at all. Bottled bacteria can help aid in a cycle but I wouldn't depend on it completely. If you add a small group of hardy fish like I said before and closely monitor your parameters than everything hopefully will go well, having a few fish do okay for a couple days doesn't mean you can dump your whole stock in though. Remember test daily and WC any time the ammonia or nitrite are above .25ppm. Once you have a good BB colony then add another small group of the fish you've chosen(like 3) then monitor levels and WC again, do this until you've completed your stock list.

My ammonia was 3
I'm only going to go get 4 zebra danios so I can have a group of 5, than I'm going to wait a week, and add my GBR's, then my neons, then the cories, then the shrimp, then the plecos, and then the snail

My ammonia was 3
I'm only going to go get 4 zebra danios so I can have a group of 5, than I'm going to wait a week, and add my GBR's, then my neons, then the cories, then the shrimp, then the plecos, and then the snail

The GBRs should really be added last. I would do the danios like you said, but don't just assume a week, follow the fish in cycling method after every addition, so if your parameters aren't 0-0 and minimal nitrates the wait longer. Patience is key

Ok, I'll yes test water after each addition
Right now my conditions are perfect, can I add my danios and maybe my cories, or just the danios?
Why shoul I add the GBRs' last?

Ok, will do
Can I add just two Cory's, it's because I have one in a 55 gallon that is alone, and to my understanding they need company, so I need the danios and at least one Cory to go with the other one

Ok, will do
Can I add just two Cory's, it's because I have one in a 55 gallon that is alone, and to my understanding they need company, so I need the danios and at least one Cory to go with the other one

I think the Cory would be fine for a a week or couple more in the 55, but you can do what you want, it will only make it easier for you if you take it slow

Back
Top Bottom