The Moorish Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

porcelaindoll

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have done TONS of research and I am fully aware that the moorish idol is THE most difficult fish to keep in captivity due to its feeding habits. It's extremely difficult to acclimate and start eating frozen foods, however I would like to know if anyone here has succesfully kept one and was able to get it to eat.

thank you! :)

i successfully kept one that ate mysis like a champ... he lived in a 125 which was well established and it was a great fish to watch :) what size tank do you have and it should be well established with absolutely no aggressive fish in it.. the less stress you put on this fish the better it will be.. also they go better in pairs or groups :)

i will also be keeping him in a 125, as far as aggressive tank mates, I'm worried about my sailfin tang b/c he's usually a bully to all my newbies, but then he calms down after about a day.

how long did yours live and how long did it take to get it to eat?

FWIW there is an article about in this months "Aquarium Fish International" magazine. It advises against keeping them w/ surgeon fish due to fighting. Both fish have similar bodyshapes and that often leads to intense aggression w/ the moorish idol often losing. Tangs have tail spines, idol's don't.
Best of luck to you.

my idol lived for over a yea and a half... fortunately for me i have a fantastic LFS and he wont sell to you unless the fish is eating properly as far as mysis goes... so he was eating when i got him... unfortunately he was short lived, when my purple tang thought it was a tough guy and started bullying it

I agree with Mike that this fish is hard to make it let alone having a tang to bully it. I hope all works out but ....... Good Luck

I don't think many people in this hobby have success with these fish. We used to have a member here who kept one sucessfully for around 2 years I believe, and that was almost unheard of. But then, out of nowhere, he lost his too. Considering that they are significantly longer lived in the ocean, in my opinion, that is where they are best kept.

Back
Top Bottom