The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:
For your tank to reach 30ppm you're probably looking at 4-6bpm but a tank at either bpm rate should last quite a while. Probably at least 6 months.

My tank isn't showing any loss of pressure yet if that helps.

Wow, longer than I thought! That's great.

Just to make sure, this is what is in my amazon cart.
The
Milwaukee regulator/bubble counter/solenoid
5 lb co2 tank-these things are freaking expensive. Where did you buy yours?
Glass diffuser, is this the kind I'm looking for?
Drop checker

I'm gonna skip the Ph controller for now

George9 said:
Wow, longer than I thought! That's great.

Just to make sure, this is what is in my amazon cart.
The
Milwaukee regulator/bubble counter/solenoid
5 lb co2 tank-these things are freaking expensive. Where did you buy yours?
Glass diffuser, is this the kind I'm looking for?
Drop checker

I'm gonna skip the Ph controller for now

If you are going to build a reactor the diffuser isn't necessary. I only paid 50 for my tank, how much is the one you're looking at?

skywhitney said:
If you are going to build a reactor the diffuser isn't necessary. I only paid 50 for my tank, how much is the one you're looking at?

The one on amazon is $59.

I've been reading the amazon sword thread, but can you explain to me what a reactor would cost to make and How the heck to make it?

George9 said:
The one on amazon is $59.

I've been reading the amazon sword thread, but can you explain to me what a reactor would cost to make and How the heck to make it?

It cost me a little over $20 to build mine. The link below is a DIY step by step to building the one i have. There are other types of reactors but IMO this is the easiest one.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm

skywhitney said:
It cost me a little over $20 to build mine. The link below is a DIY step by step to building the one i have. There are other types of reactors but IMO this is the easiest one.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm

Geez that looks pretty complicated. I'll have to figure something out, but I'm not quite ready for pressurized.

Guess what i did today? I bid on my first aquabid auction for 8 juvie blue/ghost angels. I'll grow out most of them, pick out the most colorful ones and sell the rest and make a decent profit. I think I'll have room for 8 small ones temporarily, I'm just gonna grow them to a little bigger than silver dollar size, but it is pushin' it a little. we'll see if i win. There hasn't been much activity on the auction in the past 5 days, except me lol. So far, $31. My fingers are crossed.

Ends Thursday at 7:40 central, I dunno what it is in Arizona (where I thin you live?) it's screwed up there because Arizona doesn't change for dst.

Lol enough outta me!

edit- heres the guys that I want. Not so blue now, but with age comes blue color :p
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwangelfish&1334279569

George9 said:
Geez that looks pretty complicated. I'll have to figure something out, but I'm not quite ready for pressurized.

Guess what i did today? I bid on my first aquabid auction for 8 juvie blue/ghost angels. I'll grow out most of them, pick out the most colorful ones and sell the rest and make a decent profit. I think I'll have room for 8 small ones temporarily, I'm just gonna grow them to a little bigger than silver dollar size, but it is pushin' it a little. we'll see if i win. There hasn't been much activity on the auction in the past 5 days, except me lol. So far, $31. My fingers are crossed.

Ends Thursday at 7:40 central, I dunno what it is in Arizona (where I thin you live?) it's screwed up there because Arizona doesn't change for dst.

Lol enough outta me!

edit- heres the guys that I want. Not so blue now, but with age comes blue color :p
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwangelfish&1334279569

It looks kinda complicated but its actually really easy, took me 15 min to build.

Nice looking angels man! I hope you get them!

I'll keep my eye on the bid and see if i can swoop in last min and outbid you by .01 ;-) j/k. I live next door to Arizona, i'm in New Mexico.

skywhitney said:
It looks kinda complicated but its actually really easy, took me 15 min to build.

Nice looking angels man! I hope you get them!

I'll keep my eye on the bid and see if i can swoop in last min and outbid you by .01 ;-) j/k. I live next door to Arizona, i'm in New Mexico.

Dont you dare! The listing already went too high, usually these kinds of things sell for $20 for 8, but some idiot put $30 as their max bid. Lol

Update update updddaateesss

Im gonna trim the cabomba tonight and replant, and maybe even a little on the swords side to see how it goes because that side does look a bit empty. Indica is doing decent, I see a bit of yellowish brown some places, I dunno if that's the way indica is, or if it's dying. But i see lots of new growth on the tips. So I'm pretty physhed things are finally growing. I think that excel at half dose is helping.

The cabomba is growing like a weed! When I planted if last week, it hardly reached half of the height of the tank, after streching out and growing a bit, some pieces are sticking out of the water :)

Here's the pics. The eel one just killed my when I saw it yesterday, I dunno why its not even that funny lol.

image-2606664921.jpg

image-3644576635.jpg

Yay! I won my Angels! Should be here Monday. They should be quarter size or bigger, so I'll grow em to be a little bigger, then sell them. I'll have to learn to ship too.

And if you ever wanted to buy one, half off for you :)

George9 said:
Yay! I won my Angels! Should be here Monday. They should be quarter size or bigger, so I'll grow em to be a little bigger, then sell them. I'll have to learn to ship too.

And if you ever wanted to buy one, half off for you :)

Congrats man! I'm looking forward to seeing some pics.

Nice! I appreciate it! I might take you up on that. :)

skywhitney said:
Congrats man! I'm looking forward to seeing some pics.

Nice! I appreciate it! I might take you up on that. :)

Cool! Ill let you know when I get bags and all the shipping supplies.

If you wanted a smaller one (quarter+ body size) I could send it as soon as I get the supplies. Bigger ones will take a few weeks to grow out.

Edit- my parents aren't cooperating when I tell them Im going to ship some of the angels off. I told them the whole time that im going to. I dunno, I'll let you know when all the bs is sorted out.

George9 said:
Cool! Ill let you know when I get bags and all the shipping supplies.

If you wanted a smaller one (quarter+ body size) I could send it as soon as I get the supplies. Bigger ones will take a few weeks to grow out.

Edit- my parents aren't cooperating when I tell them Im going to ship some of the angels off. I told them the whole time that im going to. I dunno, I'll let you know when all the bs is sorted out.

Haha i remember that scenario well :). No worries man. I won't be ready for one for a while still.

Okay!

I'm thinking about going to petco and buying one of those brass t valves, then hooking up another co2 bottle to the same diffuser. Is it really this simple?

You're so right about the wine in the co2 solution. I changed it a few days ago. Sooo weird how that happens!!!

I got around to trimming the cabomba. It's growing like a weed! I have another really long tall one, I think it's a sagittaria of some type keeps on growing too. I'm also surprised by how the indica is not dying in lower light areas of the plant! I'm happy about how my plants are growing. It only took daily dry ferts, excel, a little bit of flourish, and diy co2 to get it all growing lol

Still waiting on dwarf sag growth, but maybe I'll get a few more of those.

George9 said:
Okay!

I'm thinking about going to petco and buying one of those brass t valves, then hooking up another co2 bottle to the same diffuser. Is it really this simple?

You're so right about the wine in the co2 solution. I changed it a few days ago. Sooo weird how that happens!!!

I got around to trimming the cabomba. It's growing like a weed! I have another really long tall one, I think it's a sagittaria of some type keeps on growing too. I'm also surprised by how the indica is not dying in lower light areas of the plant! I'm happy about how my plants are growing. It only took daily dry ferts, excel, a little bit of flourish, and diy co2 to get it all growing lol

Still waiting on dwarf sag growth, but maybe I'll get a few more of those.

It very well might be that simple :) i don't see why it wouldn't work.

Its great to hear stuff is falling into place now. Dry ferts, CO2, etc. are daunting at first but its pretty amazing how easy it is once you do it. It'll start getting easier and will keep you learning!

I think i mentioned before but my dwarf sag took a while to ger started but now its taking off. You'll be amazed what a few pieces will turn into with time.

skywhitney said:
It very well might be that simple :) i don't see why it wouldn't work.

Its great to hear stuff is falling into place now. Dry ferts, CO2, etc. are daunting at first but its pretty amazing how easy it is once you do it. It'll start getting easier and will keep you learning!

I think i mentioned before but my dwarf sag took a while to ger started but now its taking off. You'll be amazed what a few pieces will turn into with time.

Ohhh yah. I remember you mentioned that. I will give it some more time.

Oh and the gbr finally came to the surface to eat! Yay! I still have to throw pellets at Enrique though,I don't mind anyway

George9 said:
Ohhh yah. I remember you mentioned that. I will give it some more time.

Oh and the gbr finally came to the surface to eat! Yay! I still have to throw pellets at Enrique though,I don't mind anyway

Yay! Thats great progress!

I'm thinking i might put Charger in one of my big breeder nets for a day or two to allow him to eat without competition. Maybe it'll help him relax a little bit too.

skywhitney said:
Yay! Thats great progress!

I'm thinking i might put Charger in one of my big breeder nets for a day or two to allow him to eat without competition. Maybe it'll help him relax a little bit too.

Yeah. That might be good for him. Now he'll get a chance to eat at his own rate, and you won't worry about him starving :)

George9 said:
Yeah. That might be good for him. Now he'll get a chance to eat at his own rate, and you won't worry about him starving :)

Exactly what i was thinking. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see how he reacts.

Angels are coming tomorrow! I hope they aren't too big, I'll post some pics when I get them in the tank.

George9 said:
Angels are coming tomorrow! I hope they aren't too big, I'll post some pics when I get them in the tank.

Awesome man! I'm looking forward to seeing them :)

Back
Top Bottom