TheresaM's tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any thoughts about plants for this tank? It will be low tech with medium light. My go-to plants tend to be vals, dwarf sag, swords, moneywory so I'd like to do something different if possible. Only thing I prefer to stay away from are anubias.

Side note: my RCS tank is next to this one so I decided to throw one of the larger shrimp in and see how it played out. She's funny, kind of stalks the shrimp then soon as it turns to face her she swims away :hide:

img_3271930_0_65c22f457ad23ddab7a737c6e96c32cc.jpg

Maybe a crypt as a centerpiece, perhaps undulata or wendtii?

I had Hygrophila Polysperma which is like poor mans s Repens because it grows well and organized in low light and grows insanely fast and everywhere in high light. If you can get your hands on that then it's worth a shot.

I would agree with the crypt wendetii. I love your tanks! I had peacock gudgeons at one time and they were such great little fish. I miss them.

Maybe a crypt as a centerpiece, perhaps undulata or wendtii?

I had Hygrophila Polysperma which is like poor mans s Repens because it grows well and organized in low light and grows insanely fast and everywhere in high light. If you can get your hands on that then it's worth a shot.

Definitely leaning towards some sort of crypt, thanks.

I would agree with the crypt wendetii. I love your tanks! I had peacock gudgeons at one time and they were such great little fish. I miss them.

Thanks! Really like the peacocks...great color and lots of personality!

Got home last night, with the drive there and back it was over 20 hours of driving so I didn't spend a lot of time with the tanks. Very glad I had decided to put a timer on the 16g light; didn't do that last time and the plants really suffered. The female betta seems to have settled in nicely and she's apparently safe with shrimp so I have to decide what type I want to keep with her permanently. Definitely some sort of neo...right now I'm leaning towards red rili. I already have them but love their colors so it's a debate between that or trying something new. Looking forward to seeing shrimp on white sand!

Have you ever kept the blue rili? Those are pretty but depends on how much blue you want in your tank since the betta is a bluish color too. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you ever kept the blue rili? Those are pretty but depends on how much blue you want in your tank since the betta is a bluish color too. :)

Not sure what I'm doing with the tank. Previous owners of our house made the deck into a room; my two 10g and the betta tank are in that room. Problem is I think she's lonely since I'm only in there when doing something with the tanks. The past few days I've been tossing around the idea of moving her and have a couple of options:

-The 16g, just not sure how she'd be with the forktails

or

-The Spec with the micro rasboras and shrimp. This might be the better choice since I already know she's ok with shrimp.

Either way if there are issues I can always move her back.

If it does work out I think I'll use her 2.5g for shrimp only. Big move on my part since my brain seems to think an aquarium must have at least one fish :whistle:

Unfortunately I have some major personal stuff going on right now. While the tanks are usually a good distraction I'm finding it difficult to focus. Plus side is that I'm throwing around a lot of ideas instead of rushing.

Anyhow, sorry for rambling :hide:

Hey no worries. I have ADHD but wasn't diagnosed until I was 35! Took me 18 years to get my undergrad degree but whatever so no worries about rambling. ;)

This was supposed to be catch-up weekend but I got hit with some nasty cold/bug/whatever and have did nothing with the tanks this week other than feed. Gave myself the kick in the butt earlier and did a big WC in the 16g. Trimmed some leaves, cleaned the stainless steel filter intake guard, netted out what I hope is the last of the duckweed.

The plan for the evening was to move the betta in to the Spec and crash on the couch to keep an eye on things. Can't find the RCS that had been with the betta though, not sure if it's hiding or gone :hide: I'll poke around the tank again in a bit but otherwise it's just going to be a Netflix night....

I hope you feel better. Being sick is not fun when you are laying there thinking of all the other things you'd like to be doing

I hope you feel better. Being sick is not fun when you are laying there thinking of all the other things you'd like to be doing

Thanks. Had to pick up a few things at the store yesterday, came home feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. Very frustrating.

So after posting last night about the potential shrimp-murder-by-betta I checked the tank and the shrimp was back on the sponge filter! Ok, net the betta, put her in the Spec 5 where she immediately tried to kill everything! Rasboras, shrimp, cories, even the bumblebee nerite! Very glad I was sitting there watching. Got her out and floated the net in the 16g to see how everyone would react. The furcatas are curious about everything, neons and peacocks didn't even look at her. Left the net in for a bit then put her in the tank where she's been ever since. Seems quite happy and her colors look great with the other fish.

Next step is to decide on plants for that 2.5g and what type of shrimp. This will actually be my first shrimp-only tank!

Quick shot from the 16g this evening. She has colored up nicely although more blue than the green I originally thought:

img_3276900_0_26e79beb742654efca7c746c5782536e.jpg

And a few shots from the 10g jungle taken this evening:

img_3276950_0_e6d464aee5395cf630aa9519319cdd6f.jpg

img_3276950_1_4a77e3ea6aba7ef917f9b1f6dddd9d20.jpg

img_3276950_2_21345d7dbcc39c69374cc5acc83b4b7f.jpg

Very nice pictures! I love the dark green against the black substrate! Very nice fish too! That betta looks awesome, surprises me that she tried to attack in the 5 and is fine in the 16. Maybe because she's the smallest in there?

Wow. Those pics are great! Lovely color choices.

Very nice pictures! I love the dark green against the black substrate! Very nice fish too! That betta looks awesome, surprises me that she tried to attack in the 5 and is fine in the 16. Maybe because she's the smallest in there?

Thanks! That tank is very green, kind of surprising since I really don't do much with it :hide:

In the 16g she's similar in size to a female peacock or a male forktail. Still no issues, even at feeding time today. She's all over the tank as well so it seems like she's comfortable in there.

Back
Top Bottom