TheresaM's tank thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those kuhlis are beautiful! Time definitely brings them out. My personal thought, from watching the ones I've over the years, has been that they like to establish hidden paths everywhere in the tank, and once they have those routes they tend to come out a lot more. Like little ninjas! :D

Those kuhlis are beautiful! Time definitely brings them out. My personal thought, from watching the ones I've over the years, has been that they like to establish hidden paths everywhere in the tank, and once they have those routes they tend to come out a lot more. Like little ninjas! :D

My favorite fish and one of the fish I ever kept! I have a group in the Endlers tank and at least one of them surface feeds with the other fish!

My favorite fish and one of the fish I ever kept! I have a group in the Endlers tank and at least one of them surface feeds with the other fish!

None of my kuhlis in the 55 do that, but several of the yoyos do :lol: Smart of them, with 13 loaches and an angelfish several times their size bickering over sinking tabs! They just have to compete with a couple of platys at the surface.

None of my kuhlis in the 55 do that, but several of the yoyos do :lol: Smart of them, with 13 loaches and an angelfish several times their size bickering over sinking tabs! They just have to compete with a couple of platys at the surface.

That must be fun to watch! I'd like to get a pic of the kuhli(s) surface feeding but they're so darn fast :blink:

Ooh post a pic of the floating plant guard. I may need that for this stupid salvinia minima.

Boxes arrived today, will post pics later!

It really is! They also eat out of our hands :D

The giant sev I had years ago did that!

So appy mail day here. The Turkish hazel are definitely interesting looking. After just a few minutes in a bowl the water already started to color. Since I still haven't decided on plants what I'm going to do next is take the rocks and Manzanita out of the tank and just drop in the TH, let them do their own thing until I'm actually ready to do some work in there.

img_3281982_0_5b2fa99c5d1bbda6e2141084900bd0e9.jpg

Still planning higher-grade cherries for this tank, starting with some from the jungle tank. Placed a bid on some cherry to sakura grade shrimp to replace what I take out plus it's probably time to get some new genes in the colony.

The plant guard is stainless steel mesh and 2 suction cups, made to order anywhere from 1" to 20", this one is 10":

img_3281982_1_0eb4ef7e148e8d7a22c371e8f7c9b583.jpg

Could probably attach moss to I but I'm not that ambitious at this point :hide: I'll post another picture once it's in the tank.

So I'm ignorant to what this is for. I have one tank that's actually plants in substrate. I mostly toss them in and let them float.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I'm ignorant to what this is for. I have one tank that's actually plants in substrate. I mostly toss them in and let them float.

The filter output in the Endlers tank kind of shoots the dwarf water lettuce down into the water column where it then gets sucked around the filter intake guard. Just a big mess. I think some folks use these to keep the plants in one area, I'm just going to block off the filter if that makes sense. I'll try to get a pic.

Yes a pic would help a lot. I have dwarf water lettuce in my 55 and yes the filter output does make a mess of it

My HOB filter has a little DYI "slide" and there is no splash. The water lettuce is not a problem but the duckweed forms a mat in front of it. Yes, I said duckweed :(
What kind of filter is on the Endlers tank?
Fire or Sakura sound nice. THAT is what I will be looking for at the next auction.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes a pic would help a lot. I have dwarf water lettuce in my 55 and yes the filter output does make a mess of it

Not a great shot but it's all the little plants sucked onto the filter guard, drives me crazy. Going to try the plant guard either later tonight or tomorrow.

img_3282174_0_f45aac42cd21c80857caae74af0caf76.jpg

Oh and I may have put a bid on some sakura grade RCS for the new tank :hide:

Last edited:
My HOB filter has a little DYI "slide" and there is no splash. The water lettuce is not a problem but the duckweed forms a mat in front of it. Yes, I said duckweed :(
Fire or Sakura sound nice. THAT is what I will be looking for at the next auction.
It's just a Whisper 20 but I have the water level a bit lower than in my other tanks, the Endlers seem to like it.

Last edited:

+1 I have this mod to, and it works great. Plants infront of the filter don't get pushed down all that much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have duckweed in a tank with a lone juvie killifish. It happens. Sometimes it works out.

Ok I get it now. Yes the plants in the filter intake annoy me. In my 55g with my plecos and rainbows the guppy grass gets caught in there instead of the dwarf water lettuce but it's a canister. Sometimes I leave it so fry don't get sucked up as much but with the hobs if you turn them off for some reason or take the intake tube out then yeah it does make a bad mess for me as well.

I added a couple spoonfuls of duckweed to the 16 when i first set it up, 2 months later I have a 2" thick mat everywhere. I ended up just putting it all in the bag (It came out to around a pound of it lol) and gave it away. I hope this guard works for you, it looks nice!

Back
Top Bottom