Thinking about a saltwater tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, no clown then. I already have a firefish and neon goby. Just figured i'd ask before I scratched that idea.

Both are doing great! Active, healthy, and eating. :)

Going to add all my dry rock today, i'll post pics once I finish.

Okay, no clown then. I already have a firefish and neon goby. Just figured i'd ask before I scratched that idea.

Both are doing great! Active, healthy, and eating. :)

Going to add all my dry rock today, i'll post pics once I finish.

glad to hear it!

I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver my package. Once it comes then I can start the scaping... I don't want to put in the rock I have now without knowing what that rock will look like... lol. I have no plan for placing the rocks yet, guess I'll just improvise... lol

okapizebra said:
I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver my package. Once it comes then I can start the scaping... I don't want to put in the rock I have now without knowing what that rock will look like... lol. I have no plan for placing the rocks yet, guess I'll just improvise... lol

I did arrangements on the counter to find a scape I liked. And then I rescaped 3 or 4 times when the rock was in the tank... LOL! Have fun with it! :)

Okay... pics! It's a little cloudy because I stirred up some sand, so don't mind that. Obviously I think it'll look a lot better once the rocks color up some, because right now they're bright white lol. Overall I'm pretty content with it, but I'm open to suggestions if you think something would look better elsewhere.

I thought my fish would be freaked out and I wouldn't see them for hours, but minutes after my fish were out inspecting my job. lol

Attachments

• DSCF1642.jpg
    DSCF1642.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF1644.jpg
    DSCF1644.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 76
I like it, but it feels very symmetrical to me. I would try to make one side higher or possibly make an arch if you can. That very large rock in the center, is it connected to the piece protruding out in front of it? I'd try putting it in different positions, maybe have to protrusion on the front pointing upwards and then see what you can build off of that. Maybe an arch or cave. You could also try stacking some rock on one side and then leaving the middle open and putting rock on the other side too. That might look really cool.

May I suggest a black background? It adds depth to the tank and will make your rock and fish really stand out.

Also- your firefish is beautiful!! :)

Thanks for sharing your pictures. You are off to a great start!

Think hidey holes for fish to sleep in and good surfaces for corals to grow from. You will want a sand bed, a medium level and a high level for different light intensity.

Thanks for your suggestions!! Yes, the protruding piece is attached, and I think that particular rock only looks good facing how it is, so making it point upwards IMO wouldn't look great. I think I need one or two pieces of rock to put on top to give it that un-even-ness... but I think I like the symmetrical-ness... (inventing words here lol). I've always thought about getting a black background... but I've never really been a fan of them so I'm not sure. But I'll definitely consider it. I appreciate all your suggestions!! Not trying to shoot you down by any means.

Thanks!! I like him very much. :)

I appreciate it!

Think hidey holes for fish to sleep in and good surfaces for corals to grow from. You will want a sand bed, a medium level and a high level for different light intensity.

I tried creating hidey holes, I think I created a good amount. And also I'm not sure you mean I need a sand bed?? There is sand in there. Also, I'm not doing corals. :)

I am pretty single minded...sorry. IF you want corals, you will want different levels. In the case for fish only, just make the rock work interesting. Think like a fish...;-)

okapizebra said:
Thanks for your suggestions!! Yes, the protruding piece is attached, and I think that particular rock only looks good facing how it is, so making it point upwards IMO wouldn't look great. I think I need one or two pieces of rock to put on top to give it that un-even-ness... but I think I like the symmetrical-ness... (inventing words here lol). I've always thought about getting a black background... but I've never really been a fan of them so I'm not sure. But I'll definitely consider it. I appreciate all your suggestions!! Not trying to shoot you down by any means.

Thanks!! I like him very much. :)

I appreciate it!

Symmetrical-ness works! As long as your tank makes you happy when you look at it is all that matters. So no hard feelings at all! :)

What kind of lights would I need to grow some super easy corals? Can I just get bulbs that screw into my hood? And what are the requirements for corals? No plans for corals as of yet, but I'm sure in the future I will.

Back
Top Bottom