This may seem to be a dumb question but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razmataz1971

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new at this. I would like to do a water change. All I know is I would have to take out some tank water and replace with new water. How do I do this if the new water has to come directly from the tap?

I have a 75 gal with 2 Angels, 2 Blue Rams, 2 Rainbowfish and 6 Dwarf Gouramis.

Reason why I'm doing this is I think we have Ich. One of the Rams looks like it has a small fuzz on it's eye (Kinda looks like he's blind) and one of the Angels has a tad bit of fuzz on a fin. I put in some Ich-X in. I don't have a QT tank set up and in the mist of doing that. They are all eating well.

You need to treat tap water to remove chlorine and chloramine. I use Tap Water Conditioner by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. One drop per gallon. I treat the water in 5 gal sparkletts bottles, the heat it to match the tank temp.
It sounds like you have some type of fungus. Adding 1 tsp per gallon and raising the temp to 85 degrees cures many problems.Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the advice. How long do I need to keep the water temp raised in the tank? As long as I treat the tank for the next 8-10 days?

I'd knock down the pH. Angels and Rams like mid 6 range. Maybe also research a product called 'Amazon Rain' to add to your tank. Makes Angels happy.

I don't recommend changing a stable pH. A stable pH is better than a perfect pH :D Unless you are trying to breed the fish, they will be fine (and as I found out, they may breed for you even if you don't want them to).

Did you look at the link I gave you? If you are dealing with a fungal or bacterial infection, you will need to medicate. Fungus and bacteria can flourish in warmer water and may not be affected by the salt. I strongly encourage you to look into the matter further and treat the fish appropriately.

Yes Menagerie I did look. I'm tossed between the Ich and the Fungus. So with that said, I've been treating Ich for 2 days now and rasied the temp to 82 degrees. It seems to be helping the Angel, however, the spot on the Rams eye doesn't look as if its clearing up, however, it's not getting worse which is a good sign. I looked up pics on Rams and the colors aren't there. They weren't in the lfs either.

Yes you are right. I shouldn't disturb the Ph if it's already stable, however, I have a problem with the Gouramis not swimming and eating, or eating very little. I lost 2 since yesterday. I thought maybe lack of O2 because there's no signs of illness on them so I added a bubble wand. They seem to be swimming better today.

I'm going to do a 25% water change today. How do I lower the Ph? I read in another post that using PH Down isn't any good. I tested the water today and no change in levels from yesterday.

Using chemicals to lower or raise pH is bad, because it will not lower your levels permanently. The chemicals will eventually dissipate, get caught in your filtration, etc. Which means fluctuating pH levels that cause lots of stress.

IMO, you are dealing with a fungus, not ich. Warmer water will not do much to help. Do a water change, add in some Jungle Fungus Clear Tablets, and even some maroxy or maracyn, from Mardel. A white cottony growth, like you are describing is a fungus. Remove the carbon from your filter cartiridge if you can, as this will absorb some of the medicine too, especially if it is a new cartridge.

JMHO, hope it helps :wink:

I just got back from the lfs and got some Maracyn Two tablets. Expensive meds for a 75 gal tank LOL. I kinda figured I wasn't dealing with Ich, but thought I'd try anyway before I realized the RAM didn't have it.

Dummy me forgot to take off the carbon filter when I added the Ich meds. :oops: Being a new filter, it should be ok. I just removed the carbon filter before I added the Maracyn Two just a bit ago.

I'd still like to get the Ph down anyway for the sake of the RAMS to bring back their colors. (Not that they had any when I bought them.)

BTW: What's a kudo?

Maracyn-Two is quite pricey, but it works. IME, Jungle's product works just as well, if not better, and is less than half the price. Try some aquarium salt, and the meds, and you should see recovery soon. Remember to keep treating though as long as it says. Don't stop if the symptoms go away. And read the directions on the box about water changes, etc.

A kudo is a little point you can give to people who have helped you out, or given you good advice. It's like a way to say thank you :wink:

Good luck!

How long does it take before you see signs of recovery? Right away or within 24 hours? I'll keep treating as the box says for 5 days.

Also, once treatment ends, do I place the Carbon Filter back in the Canister? I'm running an Eheim Classic and the instructions are so vague. When I set it up, I placed the filter in there. Nothing was mentioned about taking it out and only using it after med treatments. Is that correct?

It depends on how advanced the disease is, etc. raz. It should take a day or two before you start to see any improvement.

Once treatment is over, and you are positive that the disease is gone (even if you need to keep treating past the 5 days) then yes,return the carbon. The carbon in a filter collects all the inorganic particles, and absorbs meds into it like little sponges. This is why it's important to take it out when you treat.

Good luck.

Jungle Fungus Tablets

My mystery fish ( which I believe had cloudy eye or cotton eye?). Think the fish is a cherry barb but not sure. Anyway, bought the Jungle Fungus tablets. Followed the directions. Put a new filter pad in without the charcoal. Fish is now doing great!! :D I was worried about the effect on the other fish but they are fine!!

6 neons
4 black tetras
2 cory cats
1 cherry barb
2 plecos

I'd still like to get the Ph down
Without changing the subject or forgetting the illness does someone have suggestions for them for this issue? Perhaps some driftwood or something?

I would add a nice piece of driftwood. I will soften the water, and will bring PH down naturally and gradually. It looks nice too :)

Waffleman

razmataz1971 said:
Expensive meds for a 75 gal tank LOL. I kinda figured I wasn't dealing with Ich, but thought I'd try anyway before I realized the RAM didn't have it.

You should get a 10 gallon hospital tank and treat the infected fish there. Then you wouldn't waste all the meds so soon and save money. Ich looks like salt has been sprinkled on your fish.

OK, I stopped using the ich meds and started treating with the Jungle Fungus meds. The treatment stopped this past Saturday. I fed on Friday night, went out of town. Returned Sunday afternoon to see my Marble Angel dead (not the one that had the spots) and a dwarf Gourami dead. The Ram still has the white spot on his eye.

I tested the water and the Ammonia was at 4.0!!! No2 and No3 are at ZERO.

I removed about 40gal in a 75gal tank, rinsed the regular filter in the old tank water, replaced the carbon filter I took out because of meds, added more live bacteria culture and let the tank run overnight.

I just got up and the Ammonia is still at 4.0 and No2 and No3 is still ZERO. The remaining fish are swimming about the tank as normal.

My test kit is the Aquariam Pharmaceuticals Kit which is only a few weeks old. Now with the water change I did last night, you would of thought the level would of gone down in addition to the replenishment of the bacteria culture.

Any advice??

Back
Top Bottom