Tiger bullies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my Tiger Barbs for a couple of months now & they have until recently been pretty harmless - chasing each other about a bit, but not really bothering the other fish (2 Corys, 2 Yo Yo loaches and 1 Oto)

The last week or so I've caught them bullying my Corys - their fins are quite noticeably nipped. They don't seem to have bothered the loaches & I don't really know why they've taken a sudden dislike to the Corys.

Anybody have any ideas on rectifying the situation. I've put a few more pieces of rock in the tank for the Corys to hide under. The Corys are my favourites and it really upsets me to see them bullied :(

Hi Minx,

How many Tiger Barbs do you have?

5 seems to be the magic number. If you have more than 5 they tend to chase each other around and keep to themselves rather than harassing their tankmates.

I have 9 of the little monsters and I enjoy watching their antics. They leave my Clown Pleco and my 4 Peppered Corys alone. They'll swim up to them and take a good look now and again but nothing more than that.

I have 7 of them. Like I said, it's only a recent thing ... perhaps a passing phase?

I had 9, on the basis that if there were that many they would fight amongst themselves and leave the other fish alone. Didn't work, they wouldn't leave my angels alone, I ended up taking them back to the shop and swapping for nice peaceful tetras.
It was a shame, I really liked the barbs, but they had to go. :(

Back
Top Bottom