Time to upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jspires688

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 36 gallon and want to upgrade to 55 do I have to set it up and cycle it or can I set it up and use my rock and water and just go

you can set it up, use your rock and water and just go. i would monitor parameters for a couple weeks and have a couple water changes ready just in case you have a spike from disrupting everything in the 36.
before you make the jump to a 55, i would like to suggest a 75. it's a night and day difference. the 55 is too narrow front to back. it's a real pain to aquascape and most just end up piling rocks up against the back wall.

btw, you will get a diatom bloom from the new surfaces.

I recently moved a 29g to a 55g and just used all the lr from the 29g and bought all new sand for the 55g. If you have a cycled tank now you should have an almost cycled tank afterwards. I am also working on a biocube that I added lr to along with base rock. I'm waiting to see if I get a mini cycle.

Hope that helped!

Good luck!

X is so right. I really really wish I had gone with the 75g but whats done is done. You just don't have the extra rockscapeing room but I found my 55g keeps me quite happy for now. :-D

Weight is another issue a 55 will be pushing it 75 will probably be to much I have heard of people having to brace their floor to hold their tank I don't want to do that

I'm no engineer, but if you're having to worry about pushing the floor limit with a 55 gal, something is probably wrong. You could call someone to inspect your place and see how much weight your floor is able to support. I have a 150 gallon in my dining room. I put cinder blocks underneath the floor because the two main supports for the place run down the sides of the house and nothing runs down the center. I also have a 55 gal in the bed room.

i agree. a 75 gallon tank is nothing for a second floor, providing the house is not falling down as it is. put it near a load bearing wall across a few beams and you'll be fine.
i had a 200 gallon system in a 2nd floor apartment for a couple years with no problem.

Ok you guys have convinced me I made an offer on a 75 gallon I am just waiting on a reply I hope it's accepted I can't wait for it

Back
Top Bottom