Tiny fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know of fish that grow to only about half or 3/4 of an inch, preferrably schooling?

TIA

Neon tetras and I think cardinal tetras. Anyone know some others, I'm interested also?

what about other tetras, i aint sure but what about thing such as glowlight tetras or lemon tetras, to be honast i am guesing but i think they may be the same size as cardinals.

Can't really think of any that size...

...I was also thinking Neons and maybe White Cloud Mountain Minnows, but those both exceed 1 inch as adults.

Xenurobrycon polyancistrus? dwarf rasboras? I've never heard of em. I've heard of micro-rasboras, but from what I've seen online, they get to be longer than an inch as well. I think all the tetras get to about 1+ inches in adult size. I guess it's time to go surfing. :D

Can't find any info on Xenurobrycon polyancistrus. Anyone have pictures or stats?

Male Endler's livebearers stay under an inch, and if you have enough of them they will "sortof" school.

Yeah, I was going to say endler's livebearers. Mine are always together and they're pretty tiny. Very nice fish- but expensive :(

Endler's behave too much like guppies, which I have about 50 of right about now (need to sell them off when the fry get big enough). The adonis tetra has piqued my interest however. Still, I can't find any pictures of it.

different kind of fish

You might consider pygmy aka sparkling or croaking gourami. They get to be 1" which is a little bigger than you want. Their not real eye catching but they make for a lot of interest with the right background. They can be a little timid till they settle in but mine like to watch people.

This site was suggested by PenPitt: http://www.azgardens.com/

It has a lot of tiny fish for sale on it, at least you could get some names from it even if you don't actually buy them online.

Nice site. I don't know how much fish go on the market except for gouramis and guppies. Do the prices at azgardens look reasonable?

The prices for the fish look very reasonable, and these are many fish that you won't find at the LFS. I like the tiny rasboras - and there are others that would fit the bill. Some of the tiny gouramis they sell are tricky to keep and have special requirements, and they don't really mention this, but the prices are good.

The real money is going to come with shipping, which they won't (or did not used to) tell you until after your stuff has shipped. It is billed as a separate charge on your credit card, and often it will be twice as much as what you purchased, so see if they can quote you a shipping charge. I have ordered fish and shrimp from them without any casualties in the past, other than to my pocketbook. :wink:

I don't know anything about them so don't know if they are schooling fish, but what about lamp eye killies (I think that's what they're called)? My LFS has some and they are really small and unique looking.

Back
Top Bottom