Tiny Tank filter (DIY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt.Gorilla

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this may be for the DIY section but I thought more people would see it here.

I came across this guide while browsing about live plants, seems like it would be good for a betta bowl.

http://www.petfish.net/diy_filter.htm

Heres a preview;

filter.gif

Boy, I really resurrected this post!

Anyway I am currently building this to see how well it works. If anybody( especially the original poster! ) has any opinion on this.... Please let me know. The only difference is the filter media is a hunk of filter floss and the tube with the notch is a piece of a straw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is this "film canister" you speak of? (joking - haven't seen one of those in years)

I know, right?

According to the thing, it just has to be some kind of enclosed plastic canister. A pill bottle, a fish food bottle, something like that.

The question is - has anybody done this and does it work in like a small tank(2gal or less)?

That's really interesting.

My skepticism is just due to its size. My 3 gallon betta tank has a filter that holds a lot more filter media. Even those awful 1 gallon mini bow filters have more media than will fit in a film canister.

Oh I know ... A spice jar! Available in any bulk section and often have the lids with holes in them already. I'd choose used ones with caution, as many herbs have oils that would harm fish. Cream of tartar maybe ...

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

It's a neat little project, but is it worth doing ?

I ask because I'm currently 3 weeks into an experiment keeping Bettas in 2.5 G tanks without filters, air stones or water changes either.

Each tank has one Betta. Each also has lots of Hygro difformis, anubias, and a couple of different mosses, along with a large almond leaf and a few oak leaves, on bare bottoms. I've tested regularly and so far, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate < 10. Only top ups for evaporation. No 'cycling' of any kind was done on the tanks, they used to get twice weekly WCs and had no plants. After I put some plants in, I noticed the fish seemed to like it and eventually thought to test the water. I was surprised to find those results and they have been consistent ever since.

Fish are fine, they get fed about every second day, mostly live food that won't die if they take awhile to find it. At the rate we're going I'm thinking I won't have to do WCs more than once every 4-6 weeks, though I plan to keep testing for awhile yet.

For light, they have an 8 inch round clamp lamp on top, right on the tank rim, with a 6500 K spiral bulb, I forget if they are 9 or 11 watts, which keep the plants in great shape, growing well. They are on timers, 12/12, and no algae issues at all, it's been 12/12 for months now.

Because I'm growing out some mosses, I add 3 drops of API 'liquid carbon' every other day and one drop of Flourish once or twice a week, but they could easily do without that if I were content with slower growth. The tanks also have a very few MTS snails, not more than 3 or so, and I don't allow babies to stay in when I find them. I trim the difformis when it hits the top and leave the tops and leaves to root. Some I'll sell, some I'll replant. They are slightly weighted to keep the stems from floating up. I cut the usual plant weights into very tiny pieces, just enough to stop the stem rising, not enough to do any damage to the stem.

The fish seem to enjoy their quarters. They were all adopted after recovering from fin rot, and all appear to be regrowing the fins, to some degree at least. It is far less effort to keep them this way and I never have to worry that their water is going bad and I haven't changed it yet.

Don't these type of filters make excellent bio filters, but poor mechanical filters?

It's a neat little project, but is it worth doing ?

I ask because I'm currently 3 weeks into an experiment keeping Bettas in 2.5 G tanks without filters, air stones or water changes either.

Each tank has one Betta. Each also has lots of Hygro difformis, anubias, and a couple of different mosses, along with a large almond leaf and a few oak leaves, on bare bottoms. I've tested regularly and so far, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate < 10. Only top ups for evaporation. No 'cycling' of any kind was done on the tanks, they used to get twice weekly WCs and had no plants. After I put some plants in, I noticed the fish seemed to like it and eventually thought to test the water. I was surprised to find those results and they have been consistent ever since.

Fish are fine, they get fed about every second day, mostly live food that won't die if they take awhile to find it. At the rate we're going I'm thinking I won't have to do WCs more than once every 4-6 weeks, though I plan to keep testing for awhile yet.

For light, they have an 8 inch round clamp lamp on top, right on the tank rim, with a 6500 K spiral bulb, I forget if they are 9 or 11 watts, which keep the plants in great shape, growing well. They are on timers, 12/12, and no algae issues at all, it's been 12/12 for months now.

Because I'm growing out some mosses, I add 3 drops of API 'liquid carbon' every other day and one drop of Flourish once or twice a week, but they could easily do without that if I were content with slower growth. The tanks also have a very few MTS snails, not more than 3 or so, and I don't allow babies to stay in when I find them. I trim the difformis when it hits the top and leave the tops and leaves to root. Some I'll sell, some I'll replant. They are slightly weighted to keep the stems from floating up. I cut the usual plant weights into very tiny pieces, just enough to stop the stem rising, not enough to do any damage to the stem.

The fish seem to enjoy their quarters. They were all adopted after recovering from fin rot, and all appear to be regrowing the fins, to some degree at least. It is far less effort to keep them this way and I never have to worry that their water is going bad and I haven't changed it yet.

Sounds almost like a Walstad setup. Did you attempt that on purpose?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Does the outflow on the filter ive made go under water or should it be above water

Underwater will be quieter. Did you see my reply in the other topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes i saw your reply but isnt mine built differently? Also i cloudied a fishbowl of water with a few drops of milk and its been a little over 24 hours and the water is still cloudy.

Will this type of filter not filter the water clear, or was milk just a bad choice?

This is a biological filter just like any sponge filter you set up. You can add carbon for clearing up the..... milk... or filter floss for mechanical filtration.

Yes, it's a bit different, but same principle. Put a right angle PVC elbow at the top of the tube, or just cap it somehow and put a hole in the side at the top if you want a bit more water flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom